• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

Found an Old Lady in the corner of the bedroom in the flat we were renting back in August 2015. Bit of a surprise - presumably had wandered in during the night for some reason or another.

.....Presume must have been looking for an equally old man...for a bit of a flutter?

>>shudders<<

;)

My girlfriend wouldn't have been happy (plus I'm young of course).

No, I just think she wanted some soup or borscht or something.

Last edited:
Back in work now, so trapping opportunities will likely diminish. A relatively tame night last night (17 of 12 species), but quite good for Waves, with Common White, three Riband (including my first dark banded specimen) and a new for garden Small Fan-footed. Also new for garden was a Dark Arches, and a Spruce Carpet that I almost overlooked as a Common Marbled in my bleary-eyed state. Best of the rest was a couple of Buff Ermines and a rather worn Scorched Wing.

Riband Wave
Small Fan-footed wave
Dark Arches
Spruce Carpets
Scorched Wing

Attachments

• IMG_8239.JPG
    IMG_8239.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8214.JPG
    IMG_8214.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8313.JPG
    IMG_8313.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8184.JPG
    IMG_8184.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 24
Back in work now, so trapping opportunities will likely diminish.

A towel draped over the trap will keep it till you get home from work (though I find I have to add a plank across that after I came home once to find the trap had been squashed by the cat that decided this nice towel was a good place to curl up! :eek!:)

John

A towel draped over the trap will keep it till you get home from work (though I find I have to add a plank across that after I came home once to find the trap had been squashed by the cat that decided this nice towel was a good place to curl up! :eek!:)

And not left in situ if the sun is going to get in on it during the day ...

Still rubbish here, still cold at night and the recent wind and rain continues to make conditions far from optimal.

Total of about twenty moths last night, Buff Ermine new for the year and third ever Beautiful Hook-tip were the scant, highlights.

Found an Old Lady in the corner of the bedroom in the flat we were renting back in August 2015. Bit of a surprise - presumably had wandered in during the night for some reason or another.

A good example of why it is best to use capital letters for the names of moths - and birds of course.

My recent trapping sessions have not been worth a post but cumulatively maybe a summary is worth it.....

14th June - 28 of 12 species with Large Yellow Underwing (2) and Straw Dot (3) NFY
18th June - 17 of 12 species with Barred Yellow, Common Emerald and Smoky Wainscot all NFY. The wainscot was the earliest I have caught one in the last ten years but only by two days.
19th June - 19 moths of 13 species with Clouded Brindle, Celypha striana and Crambus pascuella all NFY

Steve

I think Dan knows that....;)

Yes, he clearly does. But many don't.

I struggled to get the editor of the WWT newsletter to understand the difference between blue duck semen (which is what they wrote) as opposed to Blue Duck semen (which is what it was).

Steve

Trapped last night after a couple of days break due to bad weather. Not very exciting: 20 Heart and Darts in the bag, one Elephant Hawk-moth for colour, Clouded Border NFY was the best of it.

Heavy rain forecast for early tomorrow so I'll probably skip it and hope for better during the week.

John

A couple from last night that would appreciate i) confirmation of Turnip and ii) what the other one is as two of us have been through the book and not found it; it must be obvious!

Also would be interested to know what diameter the slot is on shop bought Skinner traps as wondering if mine is too wide and hence everything escaping!

Attachments

• Turnip.jpg
    Turnip.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200620_184557.jpg
    20200620_184557.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 35
A couple from last night that would appreciate i) confirmation of Turnip and ii) what the other one is as two of us have been through the book and not found it; it must be obvious!

Also would be interested to know what diameter the slot is on shop bought Skinner traps as wondering if mine is too wide and hence everything escaping!

Agree Turnip. No idea about the other!

John

Forgetting the markings, what family or species is it most like? Then maybe a quick scroll through the UKMoths website as a starter?

Catch up for the week:-

13th June - 73 moths 25 species - Clay & Common Footman new for the year.
14th June - 45 moths 23 species - Yellow-tail & Lesser Yellow Underwing new for the year.
15th June - 49 moths 29 species - Blood-vein new for the year.
16th June - 48 moths 27 species - Mother of Pearl, Lozotaeniodes formosana & Cloaked Minor new for the year.
17th June - 74 moths 28 species - Common Emerald, Pine Carpet, Common Rustic agg (probably Common as Lesser Common tends to start later), Thistle Ermine & Dagger sp (probably first Grey Dagger of the year on robustness, veined hindwing & grainy forewing) new for the year.
18th June - break for the weather.
19th June - 50 moths 24 species - Fan-foot, Purple-bar, Spruce Carpet & Diamond-back new for the year.

A couple of patch additions for the year with Bob's trap producing a White Satin & a worn Galium Carpet.

Pics - White Satin, Fan-foot x 2, Spruce Carpet & Pine Carpet.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 001 White Satin.JPG
    001 White Satin.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 002 Fanfoot.JPG
    002 Fanfoot.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 003 Fanfoot.JPG
    003 Fanfoot.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 14
  • 004 Spruce Carpet.JPG
    004 Spruce Carpet.JPG
    882 KB · Views: 14
  • 005 Pine Carpet.JPG
    005 Pine Carpet.JPG
    683.3 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back