• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Some nice moths in there John!

From a few days ago - 10th Aug (checked 11th am)

Out
Magpie 1
Small Phoenix 1
Sh sh Dart 1
Sallow Kitten 1
Pebble Prominent 1

In
LYU 18
Flame Sh 22
Dingy F 1
Magpie 1
Common Rustic agg 1
Ruby Tiger 1
Brimstone 3
Rosy Footman 1
Smoky Wainscot 1
Pebble Prominent 2
Knot Grass 1
Early Thorn 1
Sm Phoenix 1
Drinker 1
Dark Marbled Carpet 1
Sh Sh Dart 1

62 of 17 species

Walking up to the trap the Hedgehog was again in the garden c10pm when had a quick look at the trap. The Sallow Kitten was on the trap (still there same place come the morning) and an interesting geo which I caught by hand but trying to catch a second moth let go accidently. The second moth turned out to be a worn Peach Blossom, which was nice though. At 11pm on another quick look the Hedgehog was right by the trap - think will have to take evading action.

Attachments

• hedgehog.jpg
    hedgehog.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 10
  • hedgehog trap.jpg
    hedgehog trap.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Last night (13th) - a bit more epic. Checked c7;30am. 188 of 27 macro species. An initial look outside gave up only a handful of moths - a dead Large Yellow Underwing included. Suspecting a combination of Hedgehog and Cat damage. Checking grass tussocks and the area more thoroughly later yielded up a number more (live) moths however.

Out -
Brimstone 3
LYU 16
Dingy Footman 2
Knot Grass 2
Small Phoenix 2
Black Arches 1 - NFG
Sh sh Dart 1
Swallow Prominent 1
Sm sq Spot 3
Smoky Wainscot 1
Large Elephant Hawkmoth 1 - NFG very worn/injured
Flame Shoulder 3
Small Fan-footed Wave 1

37 - 13sp

In -
LYU - 111 !!
Flame Shoulder 12
Knot Grass 1
Iron Prominent 2
Pale Mottled Willow 1
Ruby Tiger 1
Straw Dot 1
Small Phoenix 4
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Dingy Footman 1
Rosy Rustic 1
LBBYU 1
Early Thorn 1
Small Fan-footed Wave 1
Flounced Rustic 1
Small square Spot 4
Dark Sword Grass 1
Rosy Footman 1
Marbled Green 1 - NFG
Copper Underwing 2 - NFG
Svensson's Copper Underwing 1 -NFG/Lifer
Six-striped Rustic 1 - NFG

151 of 22

Total 188 of 27 Macro sp. 127 of which were Large Yellow Underwing, very few geos.

Micros - Grassy thing 6
Rush Veneer 3
And a few other micros

Also 6 or so Geos flew off as approaching the trap, 1 Sexton Beetle

Last edited:
Don't know if it was really jammy getting both Copper and Svensson's on first occasion (think I've caught Copper Underwing (sp.?) in France before at least) ... ;)

Unfortunately the Svensson's is a little blurred as wing quivering (darker moth on both).

Attachments

• copper 1.jpg
    copper 1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
  • copper 2.jpg
    copper 2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My highest numbers last night - 171 macros, although number of species (37) was on the high side but not quite a record. Star billing goes to a Pale Eggar, possibly a county first - nothing for Flintshire on the NBN map, or on North Wales Lepidoptera, but I don't know how to find out definitively. Other new species for the garden were Canary-shouldered Thorn, Tawny Speckled Pug & Rivulet. Large Yellow Underwings put in there highest numbers (72), with Lesser Broad- etc (14) & Common Marbled Carpet (13, showing off a range of colour schemes) each hitting double figures. Straw Dot was the first for a while, other goodies included one Swallow & three Lesser Swallow Prominents, two each of Ruby Tiger and Spectacle, Yellow-barred Brindle, Pebble Hook-tip, four Small Phoenix, Early Thorn & Gold Spot.

Attachments

• IMG_5163.JPG
    IMG_5163.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5067.JPG
    IMG_5067.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5057.JPG
    IMG_5057.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4948.JPG
    IMG_4948.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 14
My highest numbers last night - 171 macros, although number of species (37) was on the high side but not quite a record. Star billing goes to a Pale Eggar, possibly a county first - nothing for Flintshire on the NBN map, or on North Wales Lepidoptera, but I don't know how to find out definitively. Other new species for the garden were Canary-shouldered Thorn, Tawny Speckled Pug & Rivulet. Large Yellow Underwings put in there highest numbers (72), with Lesser Broad- etc (14) & Common Marbled Carpet (13, showing off a range of colour schemes) each hitting double figures. Straw Dot was the first for a while, other goodies included one Swallow & three Lesser Swallow Prominents, two each of Ruby Tiger and Spectacle, Yellow-barred Brindle, Pebble Hook-tip, four Small Phoenix, Early Thorn & Gold Spot.

Flintshire Macro-moth recorder

Justin Williams, The Old Orchard, Sunnyridge Avenue, Marford, LL12 8TE
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01978 851381 or 07762 105439

Cheers Andy. I did email him while ago to start submitting my records but have heard nothing back, so don't know if he's still the recorder.

Cheers Andy. I did email him while ago to start submitting my records but have heard nothing back, so don't know if he's still the recorder.

Just mailed our recorder to see if she has any kind of update but those details are from a pdf from Butterfly conservation and should be current?

My highest numbers of the year last night with 114 moths in and around the trap. Star was an Orange Swift which was a tick. Second best I guess was Rosy Rustic NFY, with my second male Gypsy Moth of the year coming in third.

Numbers-wise 37 Vines Rustics just beat 34 Shuttle-shaped Darts.

Grisly drizzly weather.

John

Last night (14th), checked at 06:15am (my earliest yet!). Moved trap location and put netting around it. Not so much long grass, so not loads of moths outside, but happier they hadn't been predated at least.

Out
Pebble Prominent 1
Dark Sword Grass 1
LYU 3
Straw Dot 1
Brimstone 1
Double-striped Pug 1 - NFG
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Ruby Tiger 1
Dingy Footman 1
Willow Beauty 1
Small Phoenix 1

13 of 11

In
LYU 59
Flame Shoulder 27
Small Phoenix 1
Ruby Tiger 1
Small Square Spot 1
Shuttle-shaped Dart 8
Common Rustic agg 4
Dark Arches 2
Straw Dot 1
Marbled Green 1
Rosy Rustic 1
Knot Grass 1
Lesser Yellow Underwing 1
Flounced Rustic 2
Angle Shades 1 - NFG
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1
July Highflyer 1

114 of 18

= 127 of 24 macros. Plus a geo in the id thread.

Micros included -

Rusty Dot Pearl 1
Brown China Mark 3 - NFG

Also last night -

Small Fan-footed Wave 1
Lesser Yellow Underwing (different ind to above)

Attachments

• as.jpg
    as.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 13
  • wb.jpg
    wb.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bcm.jpg
    bcm.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 12
  • mg.jpg
    mg.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And presumed immigrants. Photos look better on back of the phone! Apologies if getting a bit boring posting up complete lists - will try for summaries going forward.

Attachments

• rdp.jpg
    rdp.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
  • dsg.jpg
    dsg.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 20
12/8 my first look in the morning revealed a massive brown moth on the trap wall - a Red Underwing, NFY and definitely appreciated. John

I'm still not doing any trapping this year but appreciating all the photos and lists. Was reading the laptop by candlelight late two nights ago when a very large slow-moving insect started buzzing the ceiling. Guessed it had to be either Old Lady or Red Underwing and sure enough, turned out to be the latter. Well chuffed. What a beast!

Congrats on your first Jersey Tiger. Got to be one of the best moths in the country IMO.

15th Aug. Checked 06:45am. Full list, but shorter than recently ;) . Annulet was especially nice.

Out
Mullein Wave 1
Rosy Footman 1
Coxcomb Prominent 1
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet 1

In
Large Yellow Underwing 37
Flame Shoulder 8
Small Phoenix 2
Copper Underwing 1
Straw Dot 1
Rosy Rustic 1
Annulet 1 - NFG/Lifer
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1 - NFG
Heart and Dart 1

57 of 13 Macros

Plus Brown China Mark etc

Attachments

• cp1.jpg
    cp1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 9
  • cp2.jpg
    cp2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 6
  • fs.jpg
    fs.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm still not doing any trapping this year but appreciating all the photos and lists. Was reading the laptop by candlelight late two nights ago when a very large slow-moving insect started buzzing the ceiling. Guessed it had to be either Old Lady or Red Underwing and sure enough, turned out to be the latter. Well chuffed. What a beast!

Congrats on your first Jersey Tiger. Got to be one of the best moths in the country IMO.

Thank you - and I agree, all the big tigers are pretty awesome. The name of Patton's Tiger intrigues me, I get visions of the Battle of the Bulge more than the contents of a moth trap! :eek!:

John

85 of 37 species was a step down from recent catches but there was some quality in the form of Archer's Dart and Webb's Wainscot, both of which seem to be potential firsts for the 10k square.

Attachments

• P1070171.JPG
    P1070171.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1070186.JPG
    P1070186.JPG
    776.7 KB · Views: 12
Walking my local patch this morning 2 Silver-Ys, a Blood-vein sitting low in the grass, Shaded Broad-bar & many various grass veneers.

At home a perfect Jersey Tiger flew onto a Buddleja, a Yellow Shell & a couple of Mint Moths.

16th Aug - checked 06:20am.

101 of 21 macros, with a further 33 of 12 or so micros.

Nothing new or out of the ordinary; 61 Large Yellow Underwing followed by 7 Flame Shoulder. A few pics later I guess.

Thank you - and I agree, all the big tigers are pretty awesome. The name of Patton's Tiger intrigues me, I get visions of the Battle of the Bulge more than the contents of a moth trap! :eek!:

John

Fifteen years ago since I twitched the first of those:-

https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/hyphoraia-testudinaria

Jersey Tiger has gone from a patch tick a decade ago to 54 in a night one night this month. I do intend to finish July & pop along here with some records shortly.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back