• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic Birding, North Carolina (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

I was thinking about doing some pelagic birding in the next few weeks and would be grateful for any information/experiences on trips out of NC (Hatteras etc), which I understand the Gulf Stream favourably influences.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Grousemore said:
I was thinking about doing some pelagic birding in the next few weeks and would be grateful for any information/experiences on trips out of NC (Hatteras etc), which I understand the Gulf Stream favourably influences.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I strongly recommend the Brian Patteson trips out of Hatteras. First of all those trips usually have some great guides who really know seabirds, second it is a shorter trip to the Gulf Stream than from other points from where most other pelagic trips leave. Third, they have quite a record of some very good sightings. It is also good for seeing other sea creatures too.

Dalcio

dacol said:
I strongly recommend the Brian Patteson trips out of Hatteras. First of all those trips usually have some great guides who really know seabirds, second it is a shorter trip to the Gulf Stream than from other points from where most other pelagic trips leave. Third, they have quite a record of some very good sightings. It is also good for seeing other sea creatures too.

Dalcio

Thanks, Dalcio, that's all the encouragement I need; as I said to CJW, having read Patteson's Gadfly article in Birding, I'm raring to go!

Hi Trevor,

The bird possibilities on those trips sure look pretty amazing. Got me thinking about the possibility of doing one myself - unfortunately this year I think I am already way too booked up - I'll be interested to see a report at the end of yours though.

Luke

Hi Luke,
When I fix my date for the trip I'll let you know and we can make it a BF 'Bash' !
Better than reading a report..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back