• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD (1 Viewer)

Yes, I have read your excellent review of the Trinovid 2012-2015 on the Birdforum (started at 24-12-2013). I agree with you that the Trinovid has rather a lot CA off axis. But it doesn't bother me too much, because I love/like the rest of the view and ergonomics. The Swarovski CL companion has a very low CA off axis.

The Trinovid HD gave me a cheap impression, optical and mechanical. There are several Japanese and Chinese binoculars, which are cheaper, with the same performance. But that's my personal opinion.

The Trinovid 2012-2015 is build like a tank and has an excellent optical performance. "It's a real Leica".

Kees,

Thanks about my old review.

That's disappointing about the new Trin HD. I am looking for a 10x42 to supplement my primary 7x42 and I considered the new Trinovid HD, but ER is probably too short for me anyway. I came close to buying the previous Trinovid 10x42 from Europtic recently, but I backed out of it. One reason is a concern the extra mag. would make the CA possibly more noticeable. I think the 8x42 is a fine binocular and the CA on the periphery didn't bother me much either. I really liked the focus action which was very smooth and the "tread" or texture of the wheels and I think I prefer this over the Ultravid's focus wheels.

I have my eyes on the new Nikon HG 10x42 and hoping this one works out for me. I suspect it will.

I live on the most Northern island of the Netherlands (Holland). It's called Schiermonnikoog and has about 920 inhabitants. But of course a lot of space, beaches and nice views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiermonnikoog

That's why I have some "good" binoculars like Swarovski, Leica and Swify. But in total I own about 70 binoculars: for example Carl Zeis Jena's (6), Russian Tento's (10), old Meopta's (3), old Eschenbachs (2) etc.

It's an ideal environment tu use, have and test binoculars.

CA is very different in binoculars. For example I have a Carl Zeis Jena Octarem 8 x 50 (1988) which has nearly no CA off axis. The control of CA in the Octarem is even better than in the Swarovski 10 x 50 EL and Leiva Ultravid 10 x 50 HD, which I tested 4 years ago. But also better than in the Swarovski CL Companion 8 x 30, I own.

But, the search for the ideal binocular will never end. And I don't care. Enjoy Your weekend

Kees,

Where you live is gorgeous !
It's crowded where I live and I don't like it much at all.

I have a Jenoptem 8x30 (from 1986). Great ergonomics and still a good view. I don't use it for bird watching ever since I began wearing eyeglasses, but I keep it as a collectible.

I used to own the Swaro CL 8x30 and I'm one of the few people in this forum who liked it.
As you mentioned, no CA issues to speak of. I found it very bright for 30mm and I loved the size and fit/feel of it.
People complain it's a bit overpriced and not sharp enough and they have some valid points there. It could be sharper, but I found it acceptable in general.

Since I started wearing eyeglasses a few years ago I swapped out binoculars for ones that I felt are better for me with glasses/specs.

Yes, indeed it's a vey fine place to live. We never close our doors, because there has never been a burglary or housebreaking. The postman delivers his package on the kitchen table. I love it. Even with all my, some expensive, binoculars in my house, the door is always open.

I have a Jenoptem 8 x 30 and a multicoated Deltrintem 8 x 30. Also two Jenoptems 10 x 50. And I use them a lot. I hope You will find a 10 x 42 binocular that suits all your wishes.

But, I said it before, in this hobby we always keep searching. And back to topic, I always keep my Leica Trinovid 2012-2015.

Last edited:
3 Leica 8x42's

I recently had the chance to compare 3 Leica binoculars, the newer Trinovid,
Trinovid HD and the Ultravid HD.

I purchased the Trinovid last March, as I wanted a full size Leica, and these
were priced at a discount. There are lots of comparisons of the Trinovid and the Ultravid models, and I agree. Very similar build with the diopter, focuser combination, and similar optics and distortion patterns. I like the focuser combo as it gives more surface area to use.

It was easy to see that the Trinovid lags behind the UV HD in brightness, reported as 3% better in the UV HD.

I wanted to compare the Trinovid HD, and I was impressed in may ways. First I like the sleek handling and weight, and the brightness is better than the Trinovid, very close to the UV HD. There is also less field curvature with the Trinovid HD, compared to the others. It is hard to judge the CA in these, but I rank them Trinovid, Trinovid HD and UV HD. We have been in the middle of winter here, so I have no opinion of any color issues.

I think Leica has done well with the Trinovid HD, and I rank it rank it well and the same class as the Zeiss Conquest HD which I rate highly.

Here is my order of preference of these 3 binoculars.

Ultravid HD., Trinovid HD, Trinovid.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0816.JPG
    DSC_0816.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Exactely what I was looking for ... Confusing though. Thank you for this write up !

Welcome to the Birdforum, you will like a Leica if that is what you
choose.

Some of the terms are a bit confusing, but if you spend some time
reading the reviews on here, and other places, that may help you understand more.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back