• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the year, 2018 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Out birding a good part of the day around Falmouth and local area, warm sunshine in the afternoon, nothing especially unusual, but;

2 Red Admiral
1 Specked Wood
1 Small White

Amazingly, still 20 C and sunny in Lithuania - unheard of for this time of year. And with it, equally unheard of, quite a variety of stragglers still flying - had about 150 butterflies in the last week of 13 species. Today, seven species.

Amazingly, still 20 C and sunny in Lithuania - unheard of for this time of year. And with it, equally unheard of, quite a variety of stragglers still flying - had about 150 butterflies in the last week of 13 species. Today, seven species.

We're having a mini heatwave up here too but no butterflies, a really lovely day and I saw my latest ever Adder.

It's inspired me to hook the moth light up again after I took it down two weeks ago but all I've had is 6 moths which all appear to be the same species, Northern Winter Moth.

Saturday was like summer in London with 23C +had 2 Speckled Woods when I was out + before the sun broke through. Yesterday was soggy all day so stayed largely indoors. No cold weather forecast for the rest of the month so I'm sure I'll see one or two more yet!

Yesterday, 18th, near Falmouth: 1 Brimstone, several Speckled Wood

Today, 19th, near Falmouth in windless conditions a mid-sized brown butterfly shot past me in the middle of a bare open field. Maybe a late Meadow Brown on steroids??

I've had 2 Red Admirals in recent days.

One observer had a Clouded Yellow in the last couple of days in the London area.

Still seven species here on Thursday, including more than a dozen Queen of Spain Fritillaries, five or six Pale Clouded Yellows, a dozen Small Coppers, etc. Weather has finally turned now though - forecast suggests there will be no more days above the critical 10 C this year, I will be lucky to get anything more than perhaps an odd single individual.

Several very active Red Admirals whilst trainspotting at the Watercress Line in Hampshire over the past three days. Plus a (off thread) collection of 10 Red Kites enjoying some strong thermals which is more than I've ever seen in one spot here

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back