• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found a Golden Pheasant, now what? (1 Viewer)

WW_Dagger

Hi, I captured a beautiful male red golden pheasant in my back yard with my salmon net, thinking it is somebody's pet. I live in Vancouver, Washington. I know there are wild pheasants here, but wild golden pheasants? I don't know if I should let him go or try to find his owner... or just keep it? Probably don't want to keep it as I really don't have anywhere to put him but a small backyard. It does fly, though barely it seems.

So... what do I do with it? Thanks! :eat:

I would be willing to offer a good home having a nice yard but as I live in Louisiana, this just doesn't seem practical. In my area, "Found Pets" ads are free, and in your shoes, I would post all the free "I found your beautiful Golden Pheasant" ads I could. If you are worried about someone claiming the bird to cook and eat it, in the ad, you could simply say that it was a pheasant or a gallinaceous (sorry, can't spell it) type bird, and that before you turned the bird over, you would expect the person to be able to describe it. That's a beautiful bird, I wouldn't just hand him over to any old evil-doer.

I thought Vancouver was on the Canada side of the border, which just goes to show how pathetic my geography is...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back