• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve birding (1 Viewer)

malc1

We’re going to Olhao mid May for a few days, thinking of Quinta Marim, hoping May is better than April, is cycling to Tavira feasible? Wouldn’t mind a day trip if there’s any going. I don’t want to drive. All help welcome.

Hi there,
A good bird guide for the whole of Southern Portugal is Simon Wates. Check out his website www.algarvebirdman.com
Best book is A Birdwatcher's Guide to Portugal, the Azores and Madeira by Colm Moore, Goncalo Elias and Helder Costa. On Amazon.
Cheers,
Jono

Personally wouldn't fancy cycling that route, I think at some point you'd need to get onto the N125, which is a fast and quite dangerous road in places.

There's good birding to be had without straying far from Olhao - the Ria Formosa administrative centre has hides overlooking lagoons, its great for waders and also reliable for Iberian magpie.

If you really want to go to Tavira, which is a nice city to visit, then you can catch the train from Olhao. It's a bit of a walk down to the centre / riverside area, and a bit further to the salt pans. Another alternative, also by train, would be to go to Faro and book a boat trip - the station is close to the harbour - although again you can also do this from Olhao.

Thanks jforgham and kb57, all of your information is useful. Last time we went we only found one hide but it is quite a big reserve. If all else fails the sun will shine. Thanks again.

Hi there,
A good bird guide for the whole of Southern Portugal is Simon Wates. Check out his website www.algarvebirdman.com
Best book is A Birdwatcher's Guide to Portugal, the Azores and Madeira by Colm Moore, Goncalo Elias and Helder Costa. On Amazon.
Cheers,
Jono

Appreciate the plug Jono :t: though I have been slowing down my guiding to a stop recently, sort of a sabbatical ;) However, Thijs Valkenburg is providing services through our website and he is most of the time based in Olhão, where he is head ornithologist at RIAS, the Algarve´s regional wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centre. He is a super bird guide! https://riaswildliferescuecentre.wordpress.com/

Cycling

We’re going to Olhao mid May for a few days, thinking of Quinta Marim, hoping May is better than April, is cycling to Tavira feasible? Wouldn’t mind a day trip if there’s any going. I don’t want to drive. All help welcome.
Just returned from that area, there is a great cycle route which is well signposted and runs between the coast and the N125. We only cycled half way from Tavira to Olhao. Should be able to cycle the full distance in 1.5 - 2 hours. Expect to be distracted by the birding on your way.
Also access the salt pans at Santa Luzia ,easy to find the access just east of luzia.

Thanks, looking forward to trying that. Will it avoid N125, I see you did the reverse of what we’ll be doing initially, we’ ll be doing Olhao-Tavira first.

Cycle

Thanks, looking forward to trying that. Will it avoid N125, I see you did the reverse of what we’ll be doing initially, we’ ll be doing Olhao-Tavira first.
While we didn’t do the whole distance I’d be surprised if it pushed you on to the N125. I’m confident we could have got to the Quinta de Marim without encountering the N125. Even where we turned back you could see the track stuck along the coast .It’s part of a much longer ride and our section stuck to lovely non tarmac tracks and quiet minor back roads near the shore line and also tracks across the marsh land. Very enjoyable cycling with no real traffic to worry about. We hired city bikes but something a step up with a bit more shock absorption would be better

While we didn’t do the whole distance I’d be surprised if it pushed you on to the N125. I’m confident we could have got to the Quinta de Marim without encountering the N125. Even where we turned back you could see the track stuck along the coast .It’s part of a much longer ride and our section stuck to lovely non tarmac tracks and quiet minor back roads near the shore line and also tracks across the marsh land. Very enjoyable cycling with no real traffic to worry about. We hired city bikes but something a step up with a bit more shock absorption would be better

That's interesting to know - there are cycle paths either side of Santa Luzia which follow the road east towards Tavira and west towards Pedras del Rey, but I thought further west you'd have to swing north to get to Olhao - I can see that there are minor roads south of the N125 though.
As has already been mentioned, from a birding perspective between Santa Luzia and Tavira you are better off coming off the road / cyclepath and taking the unsurfaced roads through the saltpans.

I’ve hopefully plotted a route, the bus route as far as Quinta de Marim and then there seems to be a collection of paths either side of the railway line meandering towards Tavira avoiding the N125. Bought a Portugal Satmap card, just hope I’ll be able to use it%!

In the unlikely event that our holiday is cancelled and we have the opportunity to take it at a later date, does anyone have an idea of when the best time is. Our requirement is for a wide variety of birds, not necessarily rarities, just a good variety of species.

In the unlikely event that our holiday is cancelled and we have the opportunity to take it at a later date, does anyone have an idea of when the best time is. Our requirement is for a wide variety of birds, not necessarily rarities, just a good variety of species.

I think it's actually very likely it's going to be cancelled, I'm very sorry to say. I'd postpone it asap if possible (trying to get a full refund). Today or tomorrow a new measure of 14 days of isolation for all coming from abroad is most likely going to be announced by the Government.

Thanks Rafael, I’m resigned to it being cancelled but would like some idea of when to rearrange it. I’ve been in November and April but there wasn’t an awful lot about at these times.

It was inevitable, unfortunately. September and especially October can be very good (raptor migration at Sagres, as well as passerines and other goodies, particularly with eastern winds). Perhaps a bit too early to figure out when to rearrange it, but I'd post a RFI in the Portugal-dedicated subforum, it'll be more visible to other.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back