• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve wader (Sept 2011) (1 Viewer)

02pepe47

Apologies for image quality, best I have of this bird. Doing a little archiving & struggling to positively ID this smallish wader. Second pic to give size comparison with Ringed plover. Comments will be appreciated.

Pepe

Attachments

• DSC_1202.jpg
    DSC_1202.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_1203.jpg
    DSC_1203.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 179
It's a knot in winter plumage, I think it is the perspective of the Ringo in relation to the knot that is causing the size to be difficult to judge.

Many thanks for the feedback gents do appreciate it. Pretty certain it isn't a Knot, because of the barring on the rear flank. Green sandpiper is a reasonable call but for me still not quite right. I would have to say that I have been fooled by Green sandpiper before & if no one thinks otherwise will have to go with that. Any other thoughts?

Pepe

In the pic with the Ringed Plover the bill on the mystery bird doesn't look fine enough at the end to me to be Green Sandpiper. The pale supercilium doesn't look quite right for Green Sand either - it's above the eye rather than running into the front of it. I'm leaning towards Daniel's ID of Knot.

There seem to be plenty of images of Knot with barring around that rear flank that put you off the Knot ID, Pepe. And with it being an image from September the bird could still be between "full" plumages i.e. still in moult? In other words, not quite into it's full winter plumage and in a more intermediate plumage.

I don't have anything better than Knot to suggest I'm afraid.

Ok thanks again for all the feedback. I did revisit Red knot to look more closely at plumage & agree that seasonal variations could favour Red knot, for sure the bill shape is the best match.
So on reflection and your kind assistance I'm going with Red knot.

Thanks again Pepe

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back