• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Just a thought!...perhaps it might be of interest to all, if we put less than annual or once a year ticks in bold? might build up a better picture of other people’s “rares?”

Cheers

Nah, because there's already the idea of putting the last addition in bold ...

(but anyone can enbolden, underline or ***highlight*** at will )

;)

However, it's nice to read when people highlight garden rarities with a bit of info/background of course.

Nah, because there's already the idea of putting the last addition in bold

Quite right, each to their own I’ll carry on as norm, only embolding scarce/rares...then in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra....”I did it my way” ;)

A nice hat-trick for me this morning, two of the additions announced themselves with their differing wheezing calls before coming into view:

32 Nutcracker
33 Fieldfare
34 Willow Tit

Unlike at our previous place, Willow Tit is a rare visitor to the feeders, just one sighting last February. Today featured a pair, perhaps prospecting for future breeding sites in the trees behind the house.

Attachments

• Cassenoix.jpg
    Cassenoix.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Mes boreale.jpg
    Mes boreale.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 61
A nice hat-trick for me this morning, two of the additions announced themselves with their differing wheezing calls before coming into view:

32 Nutcracker
33 Fieldfare
34 Willow Tit

Unlike at our previous place, Willow Tit is a rare visitor to the feeders, just one sighting last February. Today featured a pair, perhaps prospecting for future breeding sites in the trees behind the house.

Nice Willows Richard, but a distant memory for me, they vanished early ‘70’s, however it was only a matter of time...Grey Heron over and me with cup of tea in hand...no.43.

Jared - dead easy. Just post any new birds for your garden year list and keep a running total - look at how others do it. Anything seen or heard on or from your property - you have to be on it, the birds don't.

But not how a certain Conor in Abingdon does it on eBIrd, counting things he sees on WALKS FROM home.

Anyway.....

January 12th.

38. Blackcap - one female briefly

Steve

Jared - dead easy. Just post any new birds for your garden year list and keep a running total - look at how others do it. Anything seen or heard on or from your property - you have to be on it, the birds don't.

But not how a certain Conor in Abingdon does it on eBIrd, counting things he sees on WALKS FROM home.

Anyway.....

January 12th.

38. Blackcap - one female briefly

Steve

Thanks for the clarification. Do you mean a running total of the number of species, or the number of birds in each species?

I am aware I need to be on my property. This photo was taken from my front room window.

Again, thanks for the help. It's snowing pretty hard here, so I don't know if I'll see anything today.

Evening guys, I've tried this in the past and normally forget/struggle to keep track of my list but will give a go again this year and with eBirds help I should be able to keep track a bit better.

So far this year there was a good bit of wildfowl movement early on, I didn't get Scaup or Pochard last year! Other than that the only other highlight was a long staying Black-throated Diver, now been here over 2 months.

1 Common Scoter 01-Jan-20
2 Woodpigeon 01-Jan-20
3 Collared Dove 01-Jan-20
4 Black-headed Gull 01-Jan-20
5 Mediterranean Gull 01-Jan-20
6 Common Gull 01-Jan-20
7 Herring Gull 01-Jan-20
8 Great Black-backed Gull 01-Jan-20
9 Red-throated Diver 01-Jan-20
10 Cormorant 01-Jan-20
11 Magpie 01-Jan-20
12 Blue Tit 01-Jan-20
13 Great Tit 01-Jan-20
14 Wren 01-Jan-20
15 Starling 01-Jan-20
16 Blackbird 01-Jan-20
17 Robin 01-Jan-20
18 Dunnock 01-Jan-20
19 House Sparrow 01-Jan-20
20 Greater White-fronted Goose 01-Jan-20
21 Barnacle Goose 01-Jan-20
22 Shelduck 01-Jan-20
23 Gadwall 01-Jan-20
24 Eurasian Wigeon 01-Jan-20
25 Mallard 01-Jan-20
26 Teal 01-Jan-20
27 Tufted Duck 01-Jan-20
28 Greater Scaup 01-Jan-20
29 Guillemot 01-Jan-20
30 Bewick's Swan 02-Jan-20
31 Northern Shoveler 02-Jan-20
32 Common Pochard 02-Jan-20
33 Great Crested Grebe 02-Jan-20
34 Purple Sandpiper 02-Jan-20
35 Great Northern Diver 02-Jan-20
36 Northern Gannet 02-Jan-20
37 Brent Goose 02-Jan-20
38 Common Goldeneye 02-Jan-20
39 Ruddy Turnstone 02-Jan-20
40 Sanderling 02-Jan-20
41 Razorbill 02-Jan-20
42 Black-throated Diver 02-Jan-20
43 Northern Pintail 03-Jan-20
44 Velvet Scoter 03-Jan-20
45 Lesser Black-backed Gull 03-Jan-20
46 Sparrowhawk 03-Jan-20
47 Red-necked Grebe 04-Jan-20
48 Common Eider 07-Jan-20
49 Carrion Crow 08-Jan-20
50 Eurasian Skylark 09-Jan-20
51 Pied Wagtail 09-Jan-20
52 Meadow Pipit 09-Jan-20
53 Chaffinch 09-Jan-20
54 Goldfinch 09-Jan-20

Well that started well, forgot about today's additions!!

55 Great Skua
56 Black-legged Kittiwake
57 Northern Fulmar
58 Little Gull

January 13th.

39. Stock Dove - four over

I still need 'regulars' like Goldcrest and Grey Wagtail but otherwise I have just about exhausted the expected species already. I certainly envy Ryan's location on the Norfolk coast - just the sort of garden I would like.

Steve

What's all this talk about 40s and 50s?!

Well done to Ken, H, and others for their fine starts.

I'm finally back from my tropical jaunt (look for an upcoming report!) and ready to go.

Although I was plenty tired yesterday, I went for a local Glaucous Gull (quite rare!) and unsurprisingly dipped.

Upon arriving home, I was greeted by a flock of four

1. Eastern Bluebird

to start off the year on a pleasant note! This morning saw more additions in

2. Dark-eyed Junco
3. Northern Mockingbird

Given that last year's total was in the 90s, I think that's a fine target for this year's efforts.

Glad to be back!

Ryan's Premier League list, which includes 28 I'll never get here, has blown most of out of the water!! Oh to be on the coast!

Anyway, 2 more this morning:

Mallard
Bullfinch

Ryan's Premier League list, which includes 28 I'll never get here, has blown most of out of the water!! Oh to be on the coast!

Someone has to provide competition with Lithuania on the international stage ...

I can see a slither of the Carrick Roads (England's second largest natural harbour?) from the front garden at this place. Have to work out how many miles away it is. Unfortunately Gannet is the only real possibility at this range, and that will remain slim whilst the scope is still in two pieces.

Mallard - nice :t:

At least three quick additions this morning as I zipped out the door.

4. Blue Jay
5. American Crow
6. Canada Goose

The jay(s) were heard only, but will no doubt be seen very soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back