• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch (1 Viewer)

the bird

Carpe diem
For some reason - 22 years of birding and I still haven't had even a sniff of Hawfinch.

This year this is my target bird.... I know they like to stay high up in the trees in old and well established decidious woodland, however, I ain't a clue on where these woodlands are. I've tried the usual woodlands but I just don't get the feeling they would be there. And I know they can be a bit of a **** to find.

Has anybody got an idea of where the best is to look.

I live in North Yorks and travel down to the midlands (Wolverhampton) on a regular basis so any where in these areas would be good.

I would be eternally grateful... also I haven't had a lifer for 3 (THREE) years... so please help (nb - I would lower my very high standards and twitch for this one bird)

The Bird - John

We usually see hawfinch 2 visits out of every 6 at Woodwell near RSPB Leighton Moss. About 5 mins. drive from the reserve - the staff will give you directions I'm sure. Take the track opp. a small garden centre and park at the end. We've seen them this year in the vicinity of a house called Fir Trees.

....... or go to Lesvos - but that's another story

Sandra

If you're ever in East Anglia, three excellent sites are:
  • Lynford Arboretum, near Mundford
  • Sotterley Park, near Beccles
  • Barnhamcross Common, near Thetford
plus several others. I've also seen them in the Forest of Dean (Gloucs), and know they're regularly seen in the Wyre Forest near Bewdley. February / March is a good time, before the trees are in leaf.

Send me a PM if you want more details.

half way is Rose End Meadows at Cromford

and Cromford Wharf

both reasonably reliable places - maybe check that birds are present before you go though

I have seen them there many times over the years

Tim

tom mckinney said:
Cromford birds showed well this spring.

You'll have to be incredibly lucky to see one at this time of year, John.

Tom

I can wait my friend - 22 years thats patience!!!! Another few months won't harm.... its my little baby this year!!!! ( I hope)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back