• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

My last catch was on the 21st, I've not bothered in the recent strong winds.
I managed to ID 113moths on 21st, 96 macros and 17 micros, 37 and 10 species. There were a few escapes and a couple of worn pugs that were beyond me. New for year were Clouded Silver, Laticed Heath, Large Nutmeg, Orange Footman, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, Purple Bar, Dark Brocade, White Point, Middle-barred Minor, Bright-line Brown-eye, Burnished Brass and May Highflyer(NFG). Of the micros Brown House Moth, Rhodophaea formosa and Ancylis achatana were new for year. For the second time running Treble Lines was top with 13 both times.

I've also added Horse-chestnut Leaf Miner( large tree in front garden) and today a White-shouldered House-moth, indoors this morning, to my year list. Total so far stands at 115.

Tonight looks as if it could be better with less wind so I'll have another try.

Lewis

3 x pale tussock, 3 x bufftip and 1 x broken barred carpet (in Haslemere). I'd be interested in what traps others are using given the higher numbers you get versus my set up. Thanks

Hi Allen
I'm using a MV Robinson.
Two friends use actinics and a comparison seems to show the MV attracts more. Having said that, one of them seems to attract some slightly different moths to me, so it may be a bit 'swings and roundabouts'.

3 x pale tussock, 3 x bufftip and 1 x broken barred carpet (in Haslemere). I'd be interested in what traps others are using given the higher numbers you get versus my set up. Thanks

I'm using a home made MV trap, I haven't got an actinic at the moment but I have caught some in an actinic that I have never caught in an MV trap. One of my daughters is showing an interest, as are the grandchildren, so I've said I'll build her one. I think I'll do two while I'm at it and keep one for myself. I've room to run two traps and it will be interesting to compare the catches.
Its not unusual to get two to three hundred moths in my trap in the summer. Can be a bit time consuming to ID that many and may be too many for someone just starting out.

Lewis

This morning on my weekly local patch walk

Cinnabar
Common Carpet
dancing swarm of c30 Nemophora degeerella & a mating pair being attacked by a small linyphid spider on its web
Alabonia geoffrella- such a smart micro!

Hi Allen
I'm using a MV Robinson.
Two friends use actinics and a comparison seems to show the MV attracts more. Having said that, one of them seems to attract some slightly different moths to me, so it may be a bit 'swings and roundabouts'.

Light source is definitely a factor in what you catch.

I experimented some years ago with a basic, 1m strip light from my kitchen and when doing so, I caught lots of the lcally scarce Gothic. Since using a blended MV bulb, I haven't had one for several years.

Better last night though not as much as I'd hoped. 36 Moths of 8 species. Peppered Moth (a pale one) NFY;Heart and Darts continue their rampage with 21 but 4 Treble Lines and 3 Willow Beauties matched the Shuttles.

Only three May Bugs; I saw a Stag Beetle drone past in the dusk out the front.

John

Two moths and a Meat Fly for me last night.

Sounds ike the start of a joke, 'two moths and a Meat Fly walk in to a bar'..............

Short session last night produced a couple of NFY -
pale tussock
marbled minor agg
Parapoynx stratiotata
common swift

plus one cockchaffer (also NFY).

Attachments

• Parapoynx stratiotata.JPG
    Parapoynx stratiotata.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
  • common swift ex IMG_1113.JPG
    common swift ex IMG_1113.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 17
Last night was my first 3 figure catch. 100 moths of 23 species.
4 Bee Moths, 3 Brimstones, 1 Pale Tussock, 2 Foxglove Pugs, 1 Green Carpet, 17 Heart & Dart, 2 Common Marbled Carpet, 4 Willow Beauties, 23 Common Wainscots, 6 Treble Lines, 8 Light Brown Apple Moths, 13 Nutmegs, 1 Light Emerald, 2 Small Waved Umbers, 2 Large Nutmeg, 1 Buff-tip, 2 Vine's Rustics, 1 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 1 Crambus lathoniellus, 3 Spectacles, 1 Scalloped Hazel, 1 Celypha lacunana, 1 Argyresthia cupressella.

Vine's Rustic and Argyresthia cupressella were new for the garden, the latter new to me too.

I have been warned that today 100 is a thing of joy but in a few weeks there will be more than I can process in a day!

I moved my trap to a new position last night but it was much cooler and the catch was down to 60. 51 macro and 9 micro, 21 and 7 species. Treble Lines was again top with 14, equal with May Bugs. New for year were Common Marbled Carpet, Pale Prominent, Enarmonia formosana and Notocelia uddmanniana. The last one was also new for the garden. Also in the trap was a Tipula maxima, the largest British Cranefly.

Lewis

I moved my trap to a new position last night but it was much cooler and the catch was down to 60. 51 macro and 9 micro, 21 and 7 species. Treble Lines was again top with 14, equal with May Bugs. New for year were Common Marbled Carpet, Pale Prominent, Enarmonia formosana and Notocelia uddmanniana. The last one was also new for the garden. Also in the trap was a Tipula maxima, the largest British Cranefly.

Lewis

60.51 Macros, was one of them cut in half...........;)

24/5 6 x Bufftips, 2 x Pale Prominent and a Willow Beauty

25/5 2 x Coxcomb Prominents, 1 x Common Swift and 1 x Buff-tip

Back to Farnborough from tonight so will be trying for that Eyed Hawkmoth again!

On tenterhooks tomorrow then!

Thanks to James I am now able to notify this morning's score. 51 moths of 9 species with 33 of the ever-popular Heart and Dart taking the honours. 7 Treble Lines second with 5 Shuttles trailing in third.

Moths of most interest were a Seraphim (tick number 18 this year) and a Peacock; a Common Marbled Carpet had rejected the trap in favour of the kitchen.

John

79 moths of 27 species last night. Garden ticks were Freyer's Pug, Tawny-barred Angle, Pebble Hook-tip, Turnip Moth, Thistle Ermine & Scorched Wing. Freyer's a UK tick too. Lots of usual ones and the now regular stinker, a Shore Sexton Beetle. 2 Small Elephant H-ms.
I do like Scorched Wing, there is something appealing about cryptic markings (like Snipe).

Just to check; is this a Common Swift - it seems much more marked on the trailing edge than book and some online pictures I found. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200526_073918 (2).jpg
    20200526_073918 (2).jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back