• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What sandpiper ? (1 Viewer)

Jean FRANCOIS

Hello,
what is this Sandpiper ?
Is it possible that it is a Western ?
USA, Florida, february
Thank you.
Jean

Attachments

• Sandpiper.jpg
    Sandpiper.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 171
It is a sandpiper. Black legs and semipalmated feet make it either Western or Semipalmated. Based on the bill size and shape, I would say that it's a Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Western would be much more common then Semipalmated. I'm curious about the location. There was a Semipalmated Sandpiper reported at Merritt Island NWR in February.

This is why these vernacular names can be misleading - Florida is nowhere near the West.....

Laurie -
It's a long way west of Europe 3:) - but more to the point, Western's breeding range is further west than Semi-p's (though with much overlap). Western is the shorter-distance migrant, wintering mainly on USA lower 48 coasts; Semi-ps almost all go to the southern Caribbean, and Central and northern South America. But that could easily change with the current global overheating: Florida isn't very far north of the current wintering range.

As to which this is; it's a very tricky pair in adult winter plumage. Bill length overlaps, this clearly isn't a 'long-billed' Western, but a 'short-billed' Western can't be ruled out on this alone. Bill curvature may be more useful, and this bird's quite straight bill favours Semi-p. The feathering hardly differs between the two, but Western is described as being a 'slightly cleaner, colder grey' - so this bird's warmer, browner tones would again tend to point more to Semi-p. Hard to be sure though as that may just be a camera light balance effect. Calls are probably the best way to tell them apart; without a recording I can't say, but I'd give a good deal of weight to the photographer's comment.

So, overall: with points in favour of both species, I think this one has to go down as indeterminable between them without further evidence. Sorry!

1 western sandpipers have palmations as well so that cannot be used as a distinguisher

2 the bill shape is strongly suggestive of semipalmated. Length wise it’s on the long side of the spectrum but the bluntness of the tip and the straightness are very typical of semipalmated and this bill profile is virtually absent in westerns. Anomalies are frequent with peeps though.

3 leg position and head shape are both very suspect characteristic to assess from one photo but appear to both favor western. (Very suspect from one photo)

Any other photos?

Based upon the bill alone if you were to call this a semi you’d be right 99% of the time. Also semis are more common in Florida in January than ebird realizes, though still very rare. I wouldn’t conclusively cast my vote without other photos still.

Last edited:
Based upon the bill alone if you were to call this a semi you’d be right 99% of the time. Also semis are more common in Florida in January than ebird realizes, though still very rare. I wouldn’t conclusively cast my vote without other photos still.
No other photo, unfortunately.

so the answer is: it IS possible that it is a western sand but, as tom baxter explained, not sure. bill is indeed pretty semipalm-like but would be quite long for that sp; and i also had the same impression about a front-heavy bird (which is, as said, difficult to assess from one single image). so, i'd not put a certain name on it except if the observer is pretty firm in his knowledge about the vocalizations of the two sp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back