• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon hg dcf etc (1 Viewer)

hello can anyone please explain the differences between the various nikon models in the range i believe is called the monarch 7 - I know the hgl is the newer lighter model, but in trying to compare them i keep getting lost.
any help would be great.

many thanx ~S

hello can anyone please explain the differences between the various nikon models in the range i believe is called the monarch 7 - I know the hgl is the newer lighter model, but in trying to compare them i keep getting lost.
any help would be great.

many thanx ~S

I think you are confusing the old discontinued Nikon HG/HGL binoculars with the newer line of Monarch HG binoculars.

The discontinued HG and HGL series binoculars were manufactured before the Monarch Series binoculars were introduced. The Monarch 7 is part of the Monarch Series.

The Nikon Monarch HG binoculars are the top of the line binoculars in Nikon's Monarch Series.

See them listed here with other Nikon Binoculars/

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en.../Binoculars/All-Birding-Binoculars/index.page

Bob

Last edited:
any help would be great.

many thanx ~S
From John's excellent post.
"A quick way to distinguish the different feature on the seven full size centre focus RP lines!

The original can be found here: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/spo...e_Chart_En.pdf"

Attachments

• Nikon RP Features .jpg
    Nikon RP Features .jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 62
that's great thank you i know see all i need now is a pair of x32 monarch hg at a bargain price, many tahnx again ~S

The Monarch HG come in a 30 but not 32. If you're set on the Monarch HG why not go a 42 considering how compact/light they are for a 42? My impression is that the 30's aren't great and over priced whereas the 42 for a little more are much better.
On the other hand the HG (L) and EDG are excellent in 32 (and 42).
I'd strongly recommend snapping up an EDG 8x32 while you still can for not a whole lot more than the Monarch. Budget permitting of course.

hi sorry me again

though the hg hgl are discontinued the are still for sale (& more expensive) & on the chart above they seem to me better than the monarch hg am i missing something i 'm stuck again i'm leaning towards a 10x42 though the relative brightness of the 8x is 'brighter' I don't know what that actually means - i cannot go to a store so its all research.
SO should i buy a monarch hg or the 'older hg' ? thanks to anyone who can bash it into my skull sorry to everyone else :)

hi sorry me again

though the hg hgl are discontinued the are still for sale (& more expensive) & on the chart above they seem to me better than the monarch hg am i missing something i 'm stuck again i'm leaning towards a 10x42 though the relative brightness of the 8x is 'brighter' I don't know what that actually means - i cannot go to a store so its all research.
SO should i buy a monarch hg or the 'older hg' ? thanks to anyone who can bash it into my skull sorry to everyone else :)

I'd simply choose whichever magnification appeals to you, for me I have a preference for 8x.
If I had a choice I'd get the HG(L) over the Monarch HG although that said, image quality is likely similar. Also of note is the wide FOV with the Monarch.
Bringing the EDG into it, this would be my strong preference.
I don't think you can go wrong with either of these three. To put it into perspective the HG(L) were Nikon's top roofs before the EDG which are their best ever and my personal choice over any "alpha" binoculars. The Monarch HG are now Nikon's "top end" binoculars but are quite a step backwards from the EDG. While they are quite good it seems Nikon have changed tactics, likely for business purposes, with their binoculars. To put this into perspective the Monarch HG, while Nikon's current top offering, are more of a mid tier binoculars and priced accordingly where the EDG for example were designed to be a high end/performing product and also priced accordingly.
Back to the mag thing, if you need 10x then that's what you'll get. It'll have a more narrow FOV compared to an 8x but peer into lower light better simply because the image appears closer if that makes sense to you.
The 8x will be more steady to view through, offer a wider FOV as mentioned and have a larger exit pupil which may offer easier eye placement and available light in dark conditions depending on the dilation of your pupils (this all sounds a bit contradictory of low light viewing as both mags have benefits so I wouldn't choose a mag based solely around this. But essentially I think the closer image of the 10 would trump the exit pupil of the 8x for low light).
Long story short I feel that 8x is the best all round mag.
Budget being a key factor, certainly is for me more often than not, if the Monarch HG appeals most I think you'll be quite happy and have binoculars that provide excellent optics and handling which could be argued are more than anyone really could ask for. I'm spoilt with my EDG.
Hope you get on well with it and please let us know how you go.

Last edited:
hi sorry me again

Hello Mr. paininthename,

I have not used EDG or any of the newer confusing product line introduced by Nikon afterwards. But I have used - and still do after about 15 years- use Nikon HG binoculars. I have two: 8X32 and 8X42. Both are second to none in terms of optical and build quality. If you find one, BUY it. No need to waste time comparing them with anything else (Nikon or any other brand).

Regarding 10X42, I did have a 10X42 HG model as well. I find 10X binoculars difficult to use due to their sensitivity to focus and hand shake so I no longer have the 10X.

FYI, and to put my comments regarding Nikon HG in perspective, I have owned and used various Zeiss (8X56, 10X56, 15X60 Porro, 8X30), Leica (8X50, 10X50, 12X50, 8-12X42, 8X20, 8X32 and 10X25) and Swarovski (8X42, 8X56).

Good luck :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back