• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

I received my Opticron compact rainguard and flip-open objective covers a week ago, and I’m quite happy with it. I’ll try to post some picture later on, as I think the combination with those objective caps might interest some. I stumbled across the Opticron objective covers while looking for the rainguard and they are a good fit.

There are only two, small negative points:
I find the rainguard a bit too stiff to fold in fully closed position, having the impression the rainguard is giving a bit of ‘fold back open’ pressure to the binoculars. I would like to solve that somehow. (I did cut off one small bit of the unused strap loops,as recommended by others in this thread.)
Because of the thickness of the caps/rainguard, the binoculars doesn’t fully fully close anymore, but that is perfectly normal of course. You can’t have it all. ;)

Otherwise, these are really the protective elements I was looking for, which I don’t get why Zeiss does not supply with the scope... It otherwise really is an amazing scope, continuing to impress me for its image quality and use comfort in such a small size.

Apart from a small bag, I’m just thinking of trying out the ultra light binocular harness from Bushnell/RickYoung to have it steady on my chest when cycling or on heavier mountain hikes, even though I’m wondering if that’s a good idea with those small strap attachment loops of the Zeiss pocket (Maybe I’m wrong, but such small attachment loops and thus small strap ends seem like asking for trouble under heavy use.) But than I should really stop looking for the perfect setup accessories |^|

MBB,

The Vortex compact rainguard is another option that works well with or without slight modification but does not allow the bin to be folded any more completely than the Opticron and the Opticron version is a bit handier for me in actual use.

I also use the Rick Young harness on the Victory Pocket and wouldn't do it any other way. However, I did remove the metal split rings and use small zip ties to attach the harness instead.

On another note, I notice you got the 10x rather than the 8x. I love the 8x and so am tempted by the 10 as well but have never tried a 10 VP. Did you have a chance to compare the two before you bought? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

I don’t have the 10x25, but the 8x25.
While I like 10x magnification on a 40mm (I do prefer 10x to 8x given good ergonomics), I couldn’t have believed it to give good results on a 25mm based on small binoculars I’ve briefly had in my hands many years ago. Thus, when I stumbled across a tremendous deal for the 8x25 Pocket, I went for it. As it greatly surpassed my expectations, I’m now wondering exactly the same as you: how would that Victory Pocket 10x25 be and would I like it more? I’m really curious about it and would love to try one out.
However, I probably couldn’t convince myself to buy yet another one budget wise. The Pocket 8x25 is that good and I’d rather first either upgrade my larger bin (given how the Victory Pocket impresses me,I’m tremendously curious about the Victory sf 10x42,but it is very/to expensive) or rather buy my first scope to have a nice flexible set: a great compact 25mm bin, a good standard 40mm bin and than also a good scope (I’ve just posted a question yesterday for recommendations on a relatively portable scope, on the scope forum section :). )

I just bought a pair of the Victory 8x25. Wow, most small binoculars I have tried in the past, I didn't get on with at all, but these feel quite natural.

I bought them for their close focus mainly, for insect and reptile surveys., where I have recently been borrowing an old pair of Opticron 8x32s, with a similar close focus.

I get that they are never going to compare with the latest 8x42 etc, but what about older models?.. my main birding bins are Duovid 8+12x42s. Whilst these have been ideal for my needs (Seabird surveys from ferries where the 12x has been very useful over the years), comparing the Duovid with the Pocket in my garden, all the noticeable differences at 8x, are weight and closer focus of the pocket!.

I've yet to use the Pockets for a day birding, but can see them replacing the Duovids in everything except the ferry surveys.
That would see me using a Pocket 8x25, plus an ATX95 scope in the field, which seems wacky.
Has anyone else gone all in with the Pockets full time for birding?

In the field I mostly meet the very active birders, and I see 80% 10x42, the odd 8x42 and 8,5x42 included in this number.
I see 10% x50/56 and even less 10% x32.

So what people who watch birds everyday prefer, is not the same as what you are referencing to (a poll in a binogeek section of a birder forum).

So obviously, that poll doesn't say anything about what's preferred in real life by people who go birding a lot.

Going back in time a few months but this is interesting to read Temmie!

I've never made an official tally but I'd say that in S America, looking at active / dedicated birders, both local and foreigners, I see 8x42 as the by far dominant format, and 10x42 and 8x32 in 2nd and 3rd spots though not sure which of the two is relatively more common. 8x42 must be 70-80% of what I see, guessing?

I do not think I've ever seen a binocular larger than x42 in use in the field other than the odd x50 poro seen in use by a local birder here and there. I see the occasional x30 porro as well, again by local birders more. I have seen very few 8x30 roofs (Nikon and Swaro). There may have been a couple of 10x32 and 10x30's mixed in with the 8x but I've not noticed.

...I get that they are never going to compare with the latest 8x42 etc,...
Has anyone else gone all in with the Pockets full time for birding?

I think you've answered your own question. Except with respect to brightness in low-light conditions, the optical and handling characteristics of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory are so good that all-in-all, their performance is competitive with or superior to that of many older large-format binoculars for birding. Others may find your choice of bin and scope an odd one, but if you are happy with that high level of performance, it is completely within the bounds of reason. However, in the very best of current 8x32 or 8x42 binoculars, you will find a higher level of performance. If you are never satisfied with having anything less than the best, and if you are willing to use something heavier, you will have to investigate one of those bins as your primary birding bin. I am super happy with the 8x25 Victory but I have to admit that I can do a bit better with the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, so it is my primary dedicated-birding bin. But for all other uses, including much natural history related travel etc, the Victory is so good I never wish I had more with me.

--AP

I think you've answered your own question. Except with respect to brightness in low-light conditions, the optical and handling characteristics of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory are so good that all-in-all, their performance is competitive with or superior to that of many older large-format binoculars for birding. Others may find your choice of bin and scope an odd one, but if you are happy with that high level of performance, it is completely within the bounds of reason. However, in the very best of current 8x32 or 8x42 binoculars, you will find a higher level of performance. If you are never satisfied with having anything less than the best, and if you are willing to use something heavier, you will have to investigate one of those bins as your primary birding bin. I am super happy with the 8x25 Victory but I have to admit that I can do a bit better with the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, so it is my primary dedicated-birding bin. But for all other uses, including much natural history related travel etc, the Victory is so good I never wish I had more with me.

--AP

Hi Alexis, thanks for your thoughts.
I only typically have a single pair of binoculars at a time.
It's tempting, not least in that selling my Duovids would pay for a flight and car for a week to somewhere new!

I think my main concern would be that it would be storing up trouble for further down the line, when the next upgrade came along. I would have very little to trade up from, almost like starting from scratch.

Sounds like i'll be keeping both for now. waiting for the next Zeiss 8x32, or a used pair of 8x42SF's

One thing I have noticed with these smaller binoculars.. The eyecups occasionally "tickle"! my eyelashes, something I have never experienced before, usually with larger models, and it is really irritating!
Members of my family have forbidden me to clip my eyelashes, stating i'll look ridiculous.

if I start bursting out laughing when using them, and flushing birds, then they will be going back!

One thing I have noticed with these smaller binoculars.. The eyecups occasionally "tickle"! my eyelashes, something I have never experienced before, usually with larger models, and it is really irritating!
Members of my family have forbidden me to clip my eyelashes, stating i'll look ridiculous.

if I start bursting out laughing when using them, and flushing birds, then they will be going back!

Why don't you cut them, then buy some artificial eyelashes to wear when in the company of your family? No-one cares about looks when they're out birding, do they?

Peter. don't you mean your eyelashes are touching the eyelens? If so this means your eyelashes are more than 9mm long since this is how far the eyecups unscrew. That seems a lot so forgive me for asking: are you sure you have unscrewed the eyecups all the way out?

These binos with small diameter objectives (25mm) necessarily only have eyecups with a small external diameter and it is very easy, if you don't wear spectacles. to push these eyecups into your eye sockets and of course this brings the eye lenses into contact with your eyelashes. You can help this a bit by not pushing them into your sockets so firmly but this can be hard to control in the heat of a birding moment. One solution would be to get some thick rubber bands and twist them around the eyecups close to the rim so that, in effect, the external diameter of the eyecup is increased and it will not find it so easy to bury itself so deeply into your eye sockets. Its a low cost solution so why not try it out?

Lee

Last edited:
..with these smaller binoculars.. The eyecups occasionally "tickle"! my eyelashes ... it is really irritating!
...then they will be going back!
Hi Peter, I had the same problem with various pocket binoculars and I solved by cutting the central rubbery part, up to the edge of the eyecup frame.
In this way the hole has been enlarged enough and now my eyelashes no longer touch. However, you should avoid cutting the small layer of rubber that touches the glasses, to avoid scratching them if you use them with binoculars.
And it also helps to increase the diameter of the cups, as Lee advised. I use slices of a bicycle inner tube (which is already black)

I'm not a birder, but like you I can use my pocket binocular as the main.
The Victory has a sufficient (normal) field of view and adequate brightness throughout the day, so it's pretty normal in my opinion, to choose that binocular at the 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, it's definitely the eyecup where it touches, and hasn't happened today. Could be that I've instinctively held them slightly differently, or am blinking as they pass my eyelashes.
I don't think I'll be cutting anything just yet

I don't think I'll be cutting anything just yet
In fact, there is little to cut on the Victory, perhaps 1 or 1.5mm per side.
The diameter of the hole should already be about 22mm and with the cut it could possibly reach 25mm.
In my binoculars it reached almost 26mm and adding a double slice of the bike's inner tube, now I seem to be looking in a typical 10x32.

I know that cutting means losing the value of the binoculars to be resold. But why deprive yourself of the best convenience of use right away?
In my opinion, if the appropriate ergonomic adaptations are not immediately resolved, the desire to replace that binoculars soon comes on ... which instead would have done an excellent job, keeping the transport weight as low as possible (for example - but often fundamental).

Found this thread googling Zeiss binoculars. I am totally newbie nature observer, recently started to do a monthly 2-3-day hiking travels. And last time felt a desire to look at wildlife much closer. I probably don't need fancy overpriced gear, but don't want a lowest tier either. Reviewed here Victory Pocket model is out of my budget tbh. Is Terra ED will be fine for my simple needs? Or maybe I should look into other models and form-factors?

PS. I'm really sorry for off-topic, but it is a quick question, doesn't require a new thread. Thanks!

Found this thread googling Zeiss binoculars. I am totally newbie nature observer, recently started to do a monthly 2-3-day hiking travels. And last time felt a desire to look at wildlife much closer. I probably don't need fancy overpriced gear, but don't want a lowest tier either. Reviewed here Victory Pocket model is out of my budget tbh. Is Terra ED will be fine for my simple needs? Or maybe I should look into other models and form-factors?

PS. I'm really sorry for off-topic, but it is a quick question, doesn't require a new thread. Thanks!

Jo

It would be helpful if you told us what budget you have and whether you feel you need a fully-folding pocket binocular or would consider a regular binocular.

Lee

I'd probably go for a lightweight 8x30/32. Much easier to use in the field due to the larger exit pupil. There are plenty of decent options in the lower to mid price range. I find I usually need an exit pupil of about 4mm to be happy.

Hermann

I to agree with both Lee and Hermann. An idea of budget would be useful info and, at least if you haven't tried out a 8x25 to be sure and íf you could live with the limited added size/weight, a 8x30 might be better.

I have the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and a Kite Lynx HD 8x30 (similar to the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30). The Kite is still relatively light and compact, and it is a bit better (because brighter) when there is less light (e.g. in the later evening) due to the bigger objective (30mm) and my relatives all find it also easier to use (due to the larger exit pupil) than the Zeiss. I have to admit that, in the middle of the day with good light, I find the Zeiss easy enough to use myself, and very impressive for such small binoculars, but, I'm more used to using binoculars than my relatives: they almost never use binoculars (and don't have any) but, when on a walk together and there is something to see, they of course want to have a peak through mine ;) . Sharing is part of the pleasant things when out together. The raw optical quality of the Zeiss is a bit better (less reflections, a little bit more contrast), but I still tend to take the Kite more often if I'm walking with someone else (sharing the binoculars, because they are easier), if there is less light, if I'm on the bike (maybe wrongly, I trust the standard strap attachment of the Kite more than the tiny one of the Zeiss), but I can get a little annoyed of the reflections under more difficult lighting conditions (low sun etc.). On the opposite, I tend to take the little smaller/lighter Zeiss when smaller size when stored really matters (e.g. carrying in a small messenger bag with other stuff when away for other reasons than nature/walking, without even being sure I'll have an occasion to use them.

Of course, packed size and weight càn really matter if you're on a hiking trip carrying also all your camping gear. In which case I would perfectly understand choosing a smaller 8x25. It also depends on how actively you plan on using the binoculars, and when (while walking or in the evening when settled, ...). That was also one reason for me looking for a small 8x25: multiple-days cycling holidays, camping. All little differences together make a big difference. If on foot for long distances, it's probably even more important.
According to the following test (in Dutch though), the "Bynolyth Seagull ED 8x25 HD" is a cheaper but really good alternative. (Not the other Bynolyth in the test.)
However, again for packing on long hiking/camping trips, you might want to consider the size when folded, in the pouch. A double-hinge 8x25 like the positively reviewed Zeiss Terra 8x25 (much cheaper than the Victory) might therefore also be a good option, and it would 'hurt' less of something happens to them than to a more expensive Victory. I have never tested the Terra though, but it was the one I was considering myself based on reviews and comments here on the forum, until I stumbled on a very good deal for a second hand Victory.

The main message remains: if you can, try the binoculars first, before buying. Of course preferably the ones you are considering. If not possible, at least some binoculars of similar size/weight and magnification ànd objective size, at least to know if the format and comfort of use is OK for you. Of course, there are still big differences between specific 8x25 or 8x30 models, regarding ergonomics, build quality and optical quality, but if it's kind of new to you, it will already give you some clues of what to look for, for yóu.

I prefer 10x....and while I see where people speak to the 10x pocket and wonder, no one has actually provided a review of the pocket 10x. Anyone? ......

Imans,
It seems few here, if any, went for the 10. IMO, What drew the initial interest in the model was the huge FOV of the 8 whereas the 10x offered a much smaller increase in FOV above the competition. The 390+ FOV of the 8 in a way takes it out of the pocket class altogether.

I'll guess that the 10 is excellent if that is what you want.

Mike

Mike

I prefer 10x....and while I see where people speak to the 10x pocket and wonder, no one has actually provided a review of the pocket 10x. Anyone? ......

The AAOV and ISOF specs for the 10x25 and 8x25 Pockets are the same - 60.0 and 55.3 degrees. I have both, and I like them both; the 10x view is more immersive than any of the Zeiss or Leica predecessor models - 10x25 Victory or Conquest/Classic, 10x25 Ultravid or Trinovid BC/BCA. If you're a dedicated 10x user, I believe you would like the 10x25 Pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back