• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush, Italy ? (1 Viewer)

Pavel

ID please this bird photographed two weeks ago in Northern Italy by a friend of mine.

Attachments

• Sp.jpg
    Sp.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 29138795_10211426800121314_303042877_n.jpg
    29138795_10211426800121314_303042877_n.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 201
It suspiciously resembles a Black-throated Thrush at a first glance. However, the head does perfectly look like a male Common Blackbird. But what about the rest? I'd suggest a Blackbird with some colouration issue - partial leucism? Another possibility could be a hybrid with Fieldfare? Has there ever been a record of such a combination?

It suspiciously resembles a Black-throated Thrush at a first glance. However, the head does perfectly look like a male Common Blackbird.

I'm not convinced it's either, or even a thrush at all - looks too small to me, more a largish warbler / robin size? Any potential escaped / feral bulbuls or something like that?

I'm not convinced it's either, or even a thrush at all - looks too small to me, more a largish warbler / robin size? Any potential escaped / feral bulbuls or something like that?

Nutty, I remember at least one occasion where you have proven your botanical skills. Is there any possibility to ID the tree it is perching on? Then we would have an average size of the leaves as a reference...

Can the photographer provide any more information regarding size and behaviour? Does look a bit 'off' for Black-throated but I'm struggling to come up with many alternatives.

Phil

Nutty, I remember at least one occasion where you have proven your botanical skills. Is there any possibility to ID the tree it is perching on? Then we would have an average size of the leaves as a reference...

Looks like one of the North American Crataegus species widely planted as garden shrubs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back