• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roger Vines Meopta 12x50 HD Review (1 Viewer)

Have Dennis and Rico ever been seen in the same place at the same time?

It seems this thread was initially about the Meopta 12x50 binocular, which some people on the thread own, and think well of, until Dennis hijacked it with his misguided assumptions about AK prisms, which he is currently fixated on.

Dennis does not own a Meopta 12 x 50. He does not even own a 12x binocular. Then he launches into a rant about AK prisms, a critique of 12x as a useful magnification, rolls out his new concept of 8x or 18x, wrapping it up with an insightful analysis of CA, and rather unsurprisingly concludes that his current binocular is the daddy of them all. Perhaps he's fired all his bullets at this point, and it is safe to come out.

I appreciate that some of you more sane individuals are gently trying to reason with him by feeding him warm spoonfuls of simple facts and truths. Maybe it will help... maybe not!

-Bill

Last edited:
I bought a Meopta Meostar 8x42. I want to try one again. If Lee likes them they must be good! I will comment on them here.

Hi Dennis

I look forward to your observations but please start a new thread for them. And don't forget to tell us whether they are B1 MeoStars or B1.1.

Lee

Hi Dennis

I look forward to your observations but please start a new thread for them. And don't forget to tell us whether they are B1 MeoStars or B1.1.

Lee

Penance!
its the least he can do. And, of course, the show must go on!

No problem. They are B1.1 Meostars 8x42. What is the difference? A newer model?

The difference is in the dioptre adjuster which is now a pull-up wheel with a window in it (pic on the right) as opposed to the tapered wheel sitting on top of the focus as seen on the B1 on the left.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_140kb0003.jpg
    IMG_140kb0003.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3838 Red.jpg
    IMG_3838 Red.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 111
The difference is in the dioptre adjuster which is now a pull-up wheel with a window in it (pic on the right) as opposed to the tapered wheel sitting on top of the focus as seen on the B1 on the left.

Lee
Thanks, Lee. Nice improvement. The diopter looks much improved. No optics or other changes? By the way what exactly does this mean? "You are never alone, with a sheep."

Last edited:
The 12x50 size is what is mentioned here, and many of you are off topic, so behave. I have had the Meopta 12x50 HD for well over a year now, and I really like it. The handling is very nice, it is very bright and the quality of build is as good as anything else out there. There are other threads on this model if you go back and look.

The 12x50 size is not commented on here often, but this is certainly one to consider.

The Nikon 12x50 SE was mentioned earlier, I have that one also, both are very
good, and I find the Meopta is better all around.

Jerry

...There is a BIG jump in magnification from 15x to 18x and how much detail you can see. Roger Vine called the UHD a small apochromatic scope...
As big a jump as... from 10 to 12x. I really liked the 12x50 I tried once, which happened to be the EL. If 15x hadn't worked out for me I'd definitely have wanted a 12. It's a nice format.

Roger did not "call" the 18x UHD "a small apochromatic telescope", he said it seemed like one when viewing the surface of the Moon, notwithstanding all the false color on its edge, and on smaller objects like Venus, etc. Again it's a curiously mixed review. Clearly that kind of magnification can be fun.

MeoStar 56mm binos use AK prisms.

Meopta's own website and those of various merchants all say these have SP prisms like all the other Meostars. Do you have inside information about this? This does look like a nice model though, with almost the FOV of the Swaro SLC.

For Pete's sake Bill! Are you trying to start a discussion about quantum mechanics?
Really good one. :)

Thanks, Lee. Nice improvement. The diopter looks much improved. No optics or other changes? By the way what exactly does this mean? "You are never alone, with a sheep."

No changes were made to B1.1 other than the dioptre.

Sheep farming in the hills of Scotland is widespread and when we roam the hills and coasts of the Scottish islands or mainland there are always, always, sheep nearby. They are our constant companions on the hills and exhibit interesting behaviour.

Back in the late 1950s in the UK there was a famous advertising campaign for a brand of cigarettes called Strand with the tag-line 'you are never alone with a Strand'. The campaign was a huge flop but the tag-line stuck and I adapted it to the constantly present sheep in Scotland.

Sheep are quite often the butt of jokes that diminish their intelligence for example a person with few ideas of their own might be described when ollowing a more charismatic leader as 'following like a sheep'. But we see them behaving with intelligence all the time.

I guess 'you are never alone with sheep' is meant as a mild joke at the expense of folks who write them off as mindless and boring.

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back