• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shorebirds in Victoria from 2 days ago (1 Viewer)

canadagurl123

Here's 3 photos the first 2 are from 1 bird and the other is from a different kind. can someone tell me what they are?Sorry for bad quality on 3rd pic.

Attachments

• sandpiper2.jpg
    sandpiper2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 83
  • flight2.jpg
    flight2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0063.JPG
    DSCF0063.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 95
I'd say the first peep is a Least Sandpiper (see the yellow legs) and the third bird appears to be a Spotted Sandpiper. I'll leave it to the others to confirm or correct these and hopefully help with number 2.

Looks the bird in the first two pics could be a least sandpiper, with greenish legs.

The third pic is a little fuzzy, but the bird has that wandering tattler look:

Attachments

• pescadero_beach__2006-09-09.jpg
    pescadero_beach__2006-09-09.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 65
When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Wandering Tattler.

Sharpies are by far the most common sandpiper-sized wader in Australia, particularly southern Australia, and should normally be the first species you think of in this part of the world. Look for the rich brown colouring on the top of the head - that's a pretty sure indication that you have a sharpie.

The beautiful grey of the Wandering Tattler is less frequently seen, but by no means rare. I seem to see them more often in warmer parts of the continent, though maybe that's just because I don't visit the Victorian coastline much. There is, from memory, another tattler also found in Australia, but much less often and usually much further north. Can't remember which one.

Caveat: waders are not my cup of tea.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Wandering Tattler.

Well agreed, but I believe these are British Columbian Victorian birds, in which case Least Sandpiper is a pretty likely suspect.

dj,
Looking at bird 3 again after seeing your post, I still feel might be a Spotted Sandpiper. The plumage contrast, light below and dark above, as well as a "solid" color above fit adult nonbreeding Spotted pretty well where a juvenile or nonbreeding adult W. Tattler would not show this plumage contrast and the adult breeding should show heavy barrring below. What do you think?

Yeah I'm actually thinking spotted because I saw a tattler earlier in the day and one thing that's to small to be a tattler. It was bigger than the least but definately not what my book says which is 11 inches.

dj,
Looking at bird 3 again after seeing your post, I still feel might be a Spotted Sandpiper. The plumage contrast, light below and dark above, as well as a "solid" color above fit adult nonbreeding Spotted pretty well where a juvenile or nonbreeding adult W. Tattler would not show this plumage contrast and the adult breeding should show heavy barrring below. What do you think?

I think you're right, Dave. Looking at the picture more closely, you can make out the colors better than I saw at first glance, including the contrast you note. The grayish breast that I saw could easily be a shadowed white. There was something about the pose of the cocked head of a yellow-legged bird standing in the rocks that just looked like a tattler to me at first view, but I think the picture shows otherwise. Maybe if I had more experience with spotted sandpipers (more than none, that is) I would have picked up on it!

Woops!

Bahhhh.

Good Queen Vic reigned for far too long ... there are "Victorias" and the odd "Albert" everywhere in the former colonies, including more Lake Victoras than you could drink out of with your boots on.

(Posted from my office in here in .... you guessed it ... Victoria Street.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back