• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songbirds OR (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Some not very prominent birds to see if anyone has an idea.
August, mostly near Crater lake. Thanks!

Attachments

• aMG_7962.JPG
    aMG_7962.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 68
  • aMG_8274.JPG
    aMG_8274.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 86
  • aMG_9207.jpg
    aMG_9207.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 61
  • aMG_9614.JPG
    aMG_9614.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 59
#1- Yellow-Rumped Warbler
#2- Oriole? Possibly Bullock's?
#3- Orange-Crowned Warbler
#4- Yellow-Rumped Warbler?

Thanks! I demand Yellow-Rumped Warblers to get their act together and show some yellow! We have seen so many of those, yet more and more keep popping up. Orange-crowned Warbler seems to be a very good choice.

About the Oriole: Bullock's is the only one in range in Peterson, but is that enough? I can't really see any marks to tell which one it is.

pretty sure that #2 is not an oriole. The bill is wrong for an oriole, and specifically to Bullock's those wing bars are off. Not sure what it is, it looks like a warbler to me, but none come to mind for its identity based on what is likely in your area.

pretty sure that #2 is not an oriole. The bill is wrong for an oriole, and specifically to Bullock's those wing bars are off. Not sure what it is, it looks like a warbler to me, but none come to mind for its identity based on what is likely in your area.

Could #2 be a Western Tanager?

Could #2 be a Western Tanager?

edit: another look at the bill and I really don't think its a tanager either. I am pretty confident it is a warbler, and that would mean that it has to be something rare and out of range. I'm being drawn to bay-breasted warbler. Would feel a lot better if it was something else more expected though. That would be pretty exceptional in Oregon.

Last edited:
Still think it's a Western Tanager with a slightly odd angle on the bill. The patterning and color are perfect for a "pale adult" female - see Sibley picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 27
Seeing the interest in the bird, here are some more angles on it (pretty much all we have) and let me specify the location to the shores of Klamath lake.

Attachments

• aMG_8275.JPG
    aMG_8275.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 34
  • aMG_8280.JPG
    aMG_8280.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 26
  • aMG_8286.JPG
    aMG_8286.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 35
Western Tanager it is. Don't know how the first photo changed the look of the bill so much. But this is a perfect example of a reason not to place too much faith in one photo.

Thanks! That's funny, the only other Western Tanager was a shorty view from a car in high speed, so we had so far no pictures, but now the problem is solved :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back