• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

We saw the 10x30 this week and it sounds like Jan's opinion on this upgrade is pretty much the same as ours. It is a significant step up from the current Companion. This is going to sell very well.

The In Focus Team

I know the SLC is long established and well respected. I personally think it is the best Swarovski. However the SLC line lost the 30 mm size at the upgrade from the SLC Neu. Shortly thereafter we see the CL in said size. I realize full well this may be just what it seems on its face, an update to the CL. The thought did run through my head that this may be a precursor to the addition of 40 mm size CL binoculars and possibly at the expense of the SLC, kind of a combination of the SLC and CL. Progress down this path may depend on user reaction to the new CL. Just a thought and I have no idea of where it may sit.

I find the eye box description pretty interesting. It may be something that relieves what appears to be persistent complaints from users about inadequate eye relief in the 30 mm size class.

I had the 8x30 CL, the 8x32 SV and the 8.5x42 SV. Each increase in aperture brought a huge increase in performance. This new 8x30 CL may be improved but it still will not compete with it's bigger brother's if you want superior optics. The move from an 8x30 CL to an an 8x32 SV is almost insignificant in size and weight but huge in performance.

I had the 8x30 CL, the 8x32 SV and the 8.5x42 SV. Each increase in aperture brought a huge increase in performance. This new 8x30 CL may be improved but it still will not compete with it's bigger brother's if you want superior optics. The move from an 8x30 CL to an an 8x32 SV is almost insignificant in size and weight but huge in performance.

Dennis,

....huge in performance....,

Based on what experience do you make this statement?
We are talking about the new CL and I assume you about the old CL.

Jan

Dennis,

....huge in performance....,

Based on what experience do you make this statement?
We are talking about the new CL and I assume you about the old CL.

Jan
The old CL. My point is even with the improvements on the new CL I don't see it to be any serious competition for the 8x32 SV. The new CL will be a nice smaller compact binocular for those people willing to sacrifice performance for those advantages. I have tried a lot of different 30mm binoculars and I have never found their performance good enough for a full time birding binocular under all conditions. They are fine as a secondary sunny weather daytime binocular but I wouldn't take one to the jungles of Costa Rica. I know I have tried them. They don't WORK good under the canopy. Give me a 42mm for all around use all around the world. The best 30mm I ever had optically was the Nikon 8x30 EII. Even with an optical box you still only have a 3.75mm exit pupil. It is too bad they couldn't make a 25mm or 30mm binocular perform like a 32mm or 42mm. That would be like having your cake and eating it too.

Last edited:
The old CL. My point is even with the improvements on the new CL I don't see it to be any serious competition for the 8x32 SV. The new CL will be a nice smaller compact binocular for those people willing to sacrifice performance for those advantages. I have tried a lot of different 30mm binoculars and I have never found their performance good enough for a full time birding binocular under all conditions. They are fine as a secondary sunny weather daytime binocular but I wouldn't take one to the jungles of Costa Rica. I know I have tried them. They don't WORK good under the canopy. Give me a 42mm for all around use all around the world. The best 30mm I ever had optically was the Nikon 8x30 EII. Even with an optical box you still only have a 3.75mm exit pupil.

Dennis,

How can you make your point if you even have never looked through this CL?

Jan

Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.
Swaro, congrets. Very well done.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

....................................................................................

Jan

Jan,

I'm confused.:h?:

Does "widening the incoming lightray" make the exit pupil larger?

And what is an "optical box?"

Bob

Jan,

I'm confused.:h?:

Does "widening the incoming lightray" make the exit pupil larger?

And what is an "optical box?"

Bob

Bob,

I am as confused as you are.
The explanation I got from Swarovski was that they made the lightrays, after entering the objectiv lenses, somehow wider resulting in a (what they call) optical box, situated direct after the eye lens, which gives the user the possibility to manipulate the binocular within the eyerelief from 0 - 21mm without experiencing blackouts/kidny beans.

I know, it sounds like the "amazing" depth of field experience some have with the Noctivid (while there can't be;))but it worked for me. Hopefully someone from Swaro can tune in regarding this matter to make clear how they actually managed this.

Jan

Dennis,

How can you make your point if you even have never looked through this CL?

Jan

Jan,
Isn’t it easier to speculate and talk „hands-off“ about binoculars that you have never seen than to comment on facts and features of a bino which you have had to inspect yourself ?
;)

Jan,
Isn’t it easier to speculate and talk „hands-off“ about binoculars that you have never seen than to comment on facts and features of a bino which you have had to inspect yourself ?
;)

Yes, but this only counts for us, the mortal people.
There are different rules for optics keyboard warriors.

:cat::cat:

sbb, post 11,
It is funny that you complain about the size of the binocular bag. Not long ago, Swarovski supplied the best (my opinion) bags one could dream of, they fitted like an envelope around the binocular, but I heard that consumers did not like these bags since they were too sober or whatever term you can think of.
I still use them every day and they hardly take space in the backpack, so ideal for hiking and protection. Pity such a consumer influence to the worst (my opinion of course, not shared by everybody I am sure).
Gijs van Ginkel

Goedemorgen Gijs,

What's the bag model you prefer and refering to?

The "Clam" type
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41e-yaqrnqL._SY355_.jpg

or the "boxy" one?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/swarovski_60518_field_bag_pro_for_1131082.jpg

Many Thanks
Best Regards

RobMorane, post 53,
It was the envelope one, it fitted very tight around the binocular and it did a very good job for:
-a- protection
-b- most compact transport in the backpack.
Gijs van Ginkel

RobMorane, post 53,
It was the envelope one, it fitted very tight around the binocular and it did a very good job for:
-a- protection
-b- most compact transport in the backpack.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank You Gijs.
The closest one I found matching your description is that one

http://opticsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/swar-grn-functional-bag-2501.jpg

That's actually a good idea, I'm going to see if I can improvize one with one of the Domke protective wraps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PACh3YRasI

Thanks again Gijs

Last edited:
RobMorane, post 55,
The first option you showed in your post 55 is exactly the bag I mentioned. I use them for different binoculars (they came in different sizes) and I am very happy with them.
Gijs van Ginkel

Anyone non US/Canada in the birdforum neighborhood go out and get these/try these today??? Were people lined up at the stores like with iphone???

I'm very excited about this unit, but looks like I have to wait till mid January 2018 here in the US. Would like to hear the reviews from the earlybirds.... thanks,

CG

Anyone non US/Canada in the birdforum neighborhood go out and get these/try these today??? Were people lined up at the stores like with iphone???

I'm very excited about this unit, but looks like I have to wait till mid January 2018 here in the US. Would like to hear the reviews from the earlybirds.... thanks,

CG

OK... I see everyone must be in line for the iphone??

CG

CG - they're not in stores yet in the UK, but rather are out for delivery with expected arrival later this week. I have looked through the 10x30 but not the 8x30 yet, waiting for stock to arrive! Initial impression of the 10x was very favourable, a huge leap up from the old CL comp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back