• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

From the reserve this morning Andy P reports:

Flashes
6 Little Ringed Plover including 2 juveniles, 6 Lapwing, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, just the single Avocet

Moors Pool
4 Lapwing, 2 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 2 Water Rail(1 juvenile), drake Wigeon, drake Pochard, 2 Common Tern

After discussing the matter with the North Thames Ringing Group, we have concluded that the reported yellow-ringed bird was actually 2TDV.

The bird was ringed as an adult on the 14th January 2017 at Pitsea Landfill Site, Essex. It was subsequently sighted on the 17th July 2017 at Hazelwood Marshes, Aldebugh, Suffolk and then twice at Upton Warren in July 2017 (20th and 28th).

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

14 Lapwing, 5 Little Ringed Plover (including 1 juvenile), Avocet, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper

Andy P has an encouraging update from the Moors Pool:

3 Common Tern plus 2 chicks, first summer Yellow-legged Gull, 4 Lapwing, Green Sand, drake Wigeon, juvenile Water Rail

At the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 5 Little Ringed Plover (4 adults + 1 juvenile), Curlew, 23 Lapwing, Grey Wagtail, Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Sand Martin, 2 Common Tern, 3 juv Cetti's Warblers.

From the Moors Pool Dave J updates:

Juvenile Yellow Wagtail, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 4 Common Tern (+ 2 young), Wigeon, Coal Tit, 3 Great Crested Grebe (+ 1 young), 16 Little Grebe - 12 adults + 4 fledged young (+ 3 chicks), 9 Tufted Duck broods

Full WeBS count to follow later.

Last edited:
The common consensus across the participating sites is that the Autumn All-Dayer will be on Saturday 8th September - hoping for the usual heady mixture of banter, bacon, cake, friends and possibly even some birds.

Dave J's WeBS count in full:

Avocet 1, Canada Goose 99, Common Sand 2, Coot 76, Cormorant 4, Curlew 1, GC Grebe 7, Green Sand 3, Grey Heron 2, Lapwing 28, Little Grebe 16, Little Ringed Plover 5, Mallard 195, Moorhen 20+, Mute Swan 4, Teal 11, Tufted Duck 27, Water Rail 3+, Wigeon 1, BH Gull 222, Herring Gull 1, LBB Gull 9, Common Tern 6

Photos from New Hide today 15-07-2018

Attachments

• A Help please 2J4A8001.jpg
    A Help please 2J4A8001.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 68
  • A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis  2J4A7953.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A7953.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 75
  • A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A7962.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A7962.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 52
  • A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A7988.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A7988.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 52
At the half-way point of July the monthly list has reached a very creditable 92 species. Possible additions for the remainder of July include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Dunlin, Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Common Gull, any owl species, Collared Dove, Garden Warbler, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Yellowhammer

The average return for the month is 97 species with a peak of 100 (2014) and a low of 94 (2017).

Last edited:
From the Flashes this morning Phil W reports:

1 Avocet, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Common Tern, 22 Lapwing

From the Moors Pool Phil W further reports:

3 Common Tern and 2 chicks, Great Crested Grebe with 1 Chick, 2 Green Sands, 1 Wigeon.

Meeting with Fence Contractor

On Tuesday 17th July ..I am meeting Andy Harris from the WWT and the feox fence contractor at the Flashes from 9am.
I am not sure if we are walking the line of the fence..
Whatever I will be birding early morning so if there is anything noteworthy we will not be entering the reserve.
John:t:

On Tuesday 17th July ..I am meeting Andy Harris from the WWT and the feox fence contractor at the Flashes from 9am.
I am not sure if we are walking the line of the fence..
Whatever I will be birding early morning so if there is anything noteworthy we will not be entering the reserve.
John:t:

Make sure you don't flush the Pallas's Sandgrouse!! :eek!:

Shots from the New Hide

Quiet at The Moors today. Some sporadic activity in front of the New Hide so a chance of a picture or two.

Attachments

• Water Rail-9018.jpg
    Water Rail-9018.jpg
    939.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Water Rail-9021.jpg
    Water Rail-9021.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Immature Sedge Warbler-9010.jpg
    Immature Sedge Warbler-9010.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 77
Yesterday at Reserve 17th July

An early start (5.45am).
The Flashes had dropped a little bit more since my last visit . But there is plenty of water in the southern side of the 2nd Flash some of which is flowing into the remaining moat around the main island. I'll try and post pics later. A walk around the fox fence line revealed more holes it's certainly seen better days.
Although the waders were few and far between passerines were performing better.
At least 2 juv and later a male Redstart were feeding in the hedgerows..behind main hide, bzck of cuckoo hide and the usual hedgerow in front of the transmitters. The 3 juv Cetti's warbler were being fed along the path between the bridge and cuckoo hide.
We did have 5 minutes of rain but we will need a bit more thsn that to have any effect.
Species count FLASHES:-
Teal . Avocet 1. LRP 4 (2juvs). Green sand. Common sand. Lapwing 39. Curlew 12. Snipe.
Water rail 3rd Flash
Stock dove 35-40. Green woodp. Swift 2. House Martin 30.
Redstart 3 probably 4. Cetti's w 4 (3 juv). Sedge warbler and blackcap singing
Pied wag juv.
Greenfinch at least 10 a welcome increase. Goldfinch 30+. Linnet 12. Bullfinch.

From the Flashes this morning Des reports:

1 Avocet, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Common Sandpiper (3 on the Sailing Pool), 1 Redstart (juv / fem), Common Gull, 48 LBB Gulls, c300 BH Gulls, 3 juvenile Cettis Warblers left of the main hide.

Last edited:
1 What Kind of Fool Am I?
2 Leaning On The Lamp Post Watching All The World Go By!
3 These Boots Were Made For Walking, One Of These Days...……
4 Only The Lonely

From today . There were 3 LRPs noted definitely and rumours of a Yellow Legged Gull. Don't ask me I know nothing!
The Canadas seem to walk out of the undergrowth!

Attachments

• DSCN1613 (2).JPG
    DSCN1613 (2).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1650 (2).JPG
    DSCN1650 (2).JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1687.JPG
    DSCN1687.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1746.JPG
    DSCN1746.JPG