• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bank or Field Vole (1 Viewer)

kelynrowan

Hello, I have been setting out Longworth traps as part of my dissertation where I'm comparing the mammals found in traps to those found in barn owl pellets. In the traps I have found countless wood mice, a house mouse and three voles. At first I thought that all three were field voles but now I'm not so sure. Could anyone help me identify the three voles in the pictures, thanks.
They were captured in North Wales, UK.

Attachments

• Vole 1.jpg
    Vole 1.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 79
  • Vole 2.jpg
    Vole 2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Vole 3.jpg
    Vole 3.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 84
I'm going to go for them all being Field Voles despite the length of tail on the third one. All show reduced size hairy ears, and just look Field Voley in a way I can't put my finger on.

John

I've only found field voles in the barn owl pellets. The owl hunts in the same field so I guess it would make sense the ones in the traps being field voles as well. Thank you for your help.

My backyard is full of them but I refuse to use an insecticide to kill what they eat so I guess I'm stuck with them.

The Bank Voles we have seen have all had much warmer coloured fur. I am sure these are all Field Voles.

Lee

My backyard is full of them but I refuse to use an insecticide to kill what they eat so I guess I'm stuck with them.

KC

Our Field Voles eat roots and leaves, do yours really eat insects?
If they do then well done you for not depriving them of their food. And aren't you lucky to have such fascinating critters in your backyard?

Some folks get upset in the presence of rodents because they 'carry diseases' but while there are good reasons for not inviting rats to dinner, it is a helpful perspective to remember humans carry many diseases too, its why we wash our hands after visiting the toilet.

If I am getting preachy here (I do sometimes) just give me a slap next time we meet :-O

Lee

Lee, here in South Carolina they mostly eat insects, especially grasshoppers, beetles, crickets.

Don't get me wrong, I hate rodents. As other birds eat these insects as well, I do not want to put them in any danger.

Lee, here in South Carolina they mostly eat insects, especially grasshoppers, beetles, crickets.

Don't get me wrong, I hate rodents. As other birds eat these insects as well, I do not want to put them in any danger.

Well thats a shame KC as they are fascinating creatures and I am sure if you ever got to see our Water Vole swimming along and looking like one of those Russian fur hats swimming then it would make you smile.

Lee

Hello, thank you all for your help. I caught another vole today. Is this one a Bank vole? I'm just thinking that its ears and fur colour look more like a bank vole. Thanks

Attachments

• Vole 4 (1).jpg
    Vole 4 (1).jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Vole 4 (2).jpg
    Vole 4 (2).jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back