• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Identification (1 Viewer)

I would go with Cooper's as well. It's a pretty decent white edging on the rounded tail.

Nice visitor to have ;)

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Thanks

I would go with Cooper's as well. It's a pretty decent white edging on the rounded tail.

Nice visitor to have ;)

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Thanks so much! I am sure that all of the birds at the feeders don't think it would be a nice visitor... LOL... I used the white banding on the end of the tail to identify.. I just wasn't sure.

I know it might seem like a raw moment in nature when a Hawk attacks one of your garden birds but it is nature nonetheless. They've been doing this long before we arrived on the scene and well, they have to eat too.

I know it might seem like a raw moment in nature when a Hawk attacks one of your garden birds but it is nature nonetheless. They've been doing this long before we arrived on the scene and well, they have to eat too.

I know.. it is funny though.. just before i saw the hawk.. my yard became deserted.. i didnt hear a peep from any birds... i guess they know!

I know.. it is funny though.. just before i saw the hawk.. my yard became deserted.. i didnt hear a peep from any birds... i guess they know!

They know all right. I get Cooper's Hawks (& Sharp-shins) in my yard in the fall & winter regularly, & can always tell when one's about by the anxious "pit-pitting" of the quail from the bushes & the dead silence--not a peep--from everything else. I don't get the hawks in the late spring & summer when they're away nesting, but I expect them back any time now & have been "listening" for them

Last edited:
Hawks are beautiful birds. We have several here and they keep the voles worried all the time. My wife keeps chickens but the hawks have never tried to kill any of them. They usually hunt far away from our yard and return in the evening to roost.

Someone said hawks don't hunt where they live. I wonder if that's true?

Here's pics of our hawks. They return to roost every evening.

Attachments

• P8080004hawk1.jpg
    P8080004hawk1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
  • P8110001two.jpg
    P8110001two.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back