• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (2 Viewers)

US BLM Technical Notes - I'd guess they were given the entire series, and some of them will contain biodiversity-related details, but others don't. Presumably it's simpler to upload the lot, rather than have someone read through each one to see if it's relevant or not.

Minerva Brasiliense

Not found in today's BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library), but ...

Minerva Brasiliense : jornal de lettras e artes (1843-1845), vol, 1 (No.1-13), vol, 2 (No.14-24), vol. 3 (No.1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 12), downloadable as PDFs, at RUBI (Repositório rui Barbosa de Informações Culturais) ... here.

Enjoy!

/B

Rafinesque, Kentucky Gazette (n.s.) 1 (8): 3, 1822.

Publication of Chlidonias as a new genus. Can anyone locate a copy online, please? No joy in my search.
Would I be correct in guessing C. niger is the type species of his genus?
Thanks!

Rafinesque, Kentucky Gazette (n.s.) 1 (8): 3, 1822.

Publication of Chlidonias as a new genus. Can anyone locate a copy online, please? No joy in my search.
Would I be correct in guessing C. niger is the type species of his genus?
Thanks!
I've never seen the real thing (maybe some day [here]; currently they have nothing scanned from 1822). As Mark says, it was reprinted in Auk 29: 195-197.

The type is indeed Chlidonias melanops Rafinesque 1822, which is regarded as a synonym of Sterna surinamensis Gmelin 1789 (now Chlidonias niger surinamensis).

Last edited:
I've never seen the real thing (maybe some day [here]; currently they have nothing scanned from 1822). As Mark says, it was reprinted in Auk 29: 195-197.

The type is indeed Chlidonias melanops Rafinesque 1822, which is regarded as a synonym of Sterna surinamensis Gmelin 1889 (now Chlidonias niger surinamensis).
Thanks! Any reason why Gmelin's later 1889 name is used for the taxon now? Shouldn't it be Chlidonias niger melanops?

Thanks! Any reason why Gmelin's later 1889 name is used for the taxon now? Shouldn't it be Chlidonias niger melanops?
It's Gmelin 1789, obviously -- sorry; too late in the night, it seems. OD: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/2656097
Should've copied it from my files directly...
Name: Chlidonias
Author: Rafinesque
Date: 1822
OD ref: Rafinesque C. 1822. On the wandering sea-birds of the western states. Kentucky Gazette, 36 (8): [3].
Page: [3], col.5
Link: reprint, from 1912: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/16020101
OINS: Chlidonias melanops
Type: Chlidonias melanops Rafinesque 1822
Syn.? Sterna surinamensis Gmelin 1789
Fixation by: original monotypy
Fixation ref: as OD
Page: as OD
Link: as OD
OD of type ref: as OD
Page: as OD
Link: as OD
Notes: The OD was reprinted on pp. 195-197 in: Rhoads SN. 1912. Additions to the known ornithological publications of C. S. Rafinesque. Auk 29: 191-198.
Available: yes
Family: Laridae​

Last edited:
Can we find somewhere OD of Pipile cujubi nattereri Reichenbach, 1861 online? The title should be something like:

Die vollstandigste Naturgeschichte der Tauben und taubenartigen Vogel : Wallnister, Erdtauben, Baumtauben, Hocco's, Columbariae, Megapodinae, Peristerinae, Columbinae, Alectorinae
e.g. here mentioned.

Thank you. I was on that track but this part was quiet hidden (at least for my small brain).
Finding your way through Reichenbach's works is a bit of a nightmare. (Whatever your brain's size, I think. ;))
And BHL doesn't really help either (i.a., many of the announced publication dates are completely off; sometimes the covers do not match the content; sometimes the scanned volumes include different things but this is not apparent until you check; etc.)

Is Carnegie Institution of Washington publication 54 v.1 part 2 (1907) available anywhere, please? Missing from BHL's list (they only have 54 v.3).

[Anthus hodgsoni page 493]

https://archive.org/details/researchinchina01walcgoog/page/n175

(I don't think it's out of copyright everywhere in the world, actually. It is in the US, just like anything published before 1923; it is, also, in any country applying the 'rule of the shorter term' (that includes most of the EU), because it is out of copyright in the country where it was originally published. But the main author of this volume (the US geologist Eliot Blackwelder) died in 1969, i.e., 'only' 49 year ago, thus the work should still be copyrighted in countries that do not apply the 'rule of shorter term' and have copyright extending to 50 years post mortem auctoris or more.)

Last edited:
https://archive.org/details/researchinchina01walcgoog/page/n175

(I don't think it's out of copyright everywhere in the world, actually. It is in the US, just like anything published before 1923; it is, also, in any country applying the 'rule of the shorter term' (that includes most of the EU), because it is out of copyright in the country where it was originally published. But the main author of this volume (the US geologist Eliot Blackwelder) died in 1969, i.e., 'only' 49 year ago, thus the work should still be copyrighted in countries that do not apply the 'rule of shorter term' and have copyright extending to 50 years post mortem auctoris or more.)
Excellent, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back