• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (3 Viewers)

yes, you've caught their character splendidly, particularly fond of the flying ones - these really do need to be worked up into a painting, really, they do!

If it were me I'd find it daunting. But it looks like you have it well planned Arthur so I'll just sit and wait for the results. I'm sure that they'll be impressive.

ah yes, this will stretch you....a good start....have you thought about focal ponits values etc, or are you going to just work it out as you go?

Fantastic work, Arthur, I'm blown away by the bunts and thrushes. Can I ask what you've drawn the thrushes in? Tim's right about 'front on views'; I'm still trying to get this something like. Very slowly geting there, but one mark slightly out and it's just not right!
Been doing this long? Have you a website?
Great stuff

Russ

you are using far too many technical terms for me Colleen, I will probably work it out as I go

Iv'e seen your sketches Russ and they are very good.
I alwalys use a 2b pencil for skeching and always find front on veiws a challenge which I enjoy.
I retired a few years ago so I now have the time to do what I enjoy doing and I dont have a web site as Im'e still trying to master this damn thing.

Beautiful spars Arthur, really captures that cathedral-like feel you get when looking up into the canopy of a wood. As for the bunts, well what super little characters. Good luck with the gathering pic!

Mike

Funny you should mention a 2B pencil, Arthur. I've just started sketching with a Steadtler 3B after a couple of years using a Derwent Sketching 4B. I'm thinking this might make me look harder if the line runs slower over the paper. I was told some time ago to use soft leads, but I'm beginning to think about trying harder ones, up to B anyway. As you guys know - it's all trial and error.
I'll keep you posted.

Russ

changed a couple of birds so the eye can travel round the pic.
going to have a go at this one first to get the feel of the snowies

Attachments

• L1200140.jpg
    L1200140.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
  • L1200145.jpg
    L1200145.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 63
well Arthur, it is a very nice artwork to begin this new year. My favorite is the Mistle Thrush in the snow. I find it very nice, with life.

Good start Arthur. I look forward to seeing it develop. It seems to me, and I realize I could be completely wrong, that you have a pretty good idea of where you want to go with it once you start. So I always enjoy seeing it reach its fully developed state.

I only mention this because good start in my work is no guarantee at all that all will end well.

A bit more done
I like to break it up if I get the chance with the background.

Attachments

• L1200175.jpg
    L1200175.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The task is afoot! Interesting to see how you work too Arthur, totally different from me - I tend to do the background completely and do the birds at the end as a 'reward' from the boring bits ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back