• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YOU'R bird feeding stations/feeders! (1 Viewer)

Heres the feeders I have in my front and back yard, all the wood feeders I made and the rest were store bought.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 65
I've already got one cage that will allow up to blackbird size in, but need another for next winter so I can stop scattering expensive food like suet pellets, and just put it where only certain birds will get it. But the bought ones are too dear, so I've made this rather Heath Robinson thing up! Don't laugh..(well, you can if you want!:-O) it's two plastic trays (they were white so I've coloured them a bit with some stain) and some garden mesh! It's just sitting near the back door yet so I can acclimatise them to seeing it around! Do you think they will dare go in?!

Attachments

• home made feeder!.JPG
    home made feeder!.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 62
Yes Mary, I think they'll venture in for good nibbly bits.
I too am contemplating separation of starlings from the rest and am thinking to keep an eye out for something that will do the job. The starlings do have their own suet but cant' resist seeing if the other is better - nope, same!

Ok so some of you will have seen some of my videos aready, but no harm in posting again -

The first one is made by Chapelwood - Kilo seed feeder. Holds lots of seed but hardly any perch for the birds, but its ok as the Tits don't mind and the Goldfinches stay off this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp46NbJG16Q&feature=related

I'm a big fan of the American made Droll Yankee feeders, they are fairly expensive but come with a lifetime guarantee which i think is great in itself.

This one is the called the Droll Yankee Finch Flocker, designed to attract Goldfinches and it worked for me, this video was early days but it gets very busy as you will see in the next video if you watch in the background. Comes in a meter long one as well but decided against that one as the top perches would very quickly become useless as the seed falls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziXnZGaUUbw

Next the Droll Yankee Onyx Clever Clean, the base clicks off for easy cleaning. And its a bigger diameter tube so holds more seed, great quality feeder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRxDtKHOt0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWod-3IRS8

And then the fatball feeder outside the kitchen window

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7rUpyJhEUo

Thats all!

Last edited:
Having only moved into this house last year I havent had chance to get any serious feeding area sorted yet. I just planted a tree and put a pole feeder up (This was last may). Once the warmer weather comes I will work on getting a bird table and try to give the birds a nice secluded area just for them.

Here is a video I took of the bird feeder in action last may.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdN6wXg6U4

Hope you all enjoy it :)

This is my feeder setup. One squirrel-proof seed feeder with a hanging nyjer feeder attached below. Two suet feeders hanging from branches. Link to photo

The birds seem to very much appreciate all the branches where they can perch and hide. I've yet to have any bird slam into the window.

However we do get the occasional unwelcome visitor

On the other hand, there are also non-bird welcome visitors. And the cats who can not get to where the feeder is do like to at least watch.

Overall we and the kids and the cats love having the feeder where it is and the birds like it just fine too. If only we didn't have so many sparrows. They outnumber the other birds 10-1.

Last edited:
I have the deck set up for the birds although I try to avoid the feeders. But as this is for the feeders I will add a couple, hopefully.

Attachments

• 10nuthatch.jpg
    10nuthatch.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 43
  • 11hummer.jpg
    11hummer.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 12anna's hummer.jpg
    12anna's hummer.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 13pileated.jpg
    13pileated.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 52
My Feeder Station

Great seeing everyone's pictures! I love this thread's idea.

Here in southern California just outside the Los Angeles county, my feeders are getting swamped with goldfinches. Although I live on a pretty busy sub-urban street the birds found my feeder relatively quickly ( less than a week). I recently started spotting Anna's hummers visiting the nectar feeder and orange slices I put out (is it typical of them to go for the oranges?) but I have yet to snap their picture in time. OH How I wish I could already though! Although I love the goldfinch, I am anxious to see another kind of finch.
Now, I really want to see some orioles, I need an oriole feeder! - so that's on my wish list this year along with the woodpeckers. I look forward to seeing some more pics from everyone!

Peace, All.
Here are my graceful visitors thus far:
(Left to Right: Song sparrow -gorger, also loves to feed on the nyjer collecting on the seed tray at the bottom; white crowned sparrow eating suet -a lot of them and some finches are really digging it; my beloved finches -they feed ALL DAY LONG; a couple of American goldfinches chillin' on the bird bath)

I wasn't able to post all my pictures in one posting, and since I do want to see everyone's bird feeding stations, I will post pics of mine on the next post below...

Attachments

• MAR-5-11 005.jpg
    MAR-5-11 005.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 37
  • MAR-5-11 015.jpg
    MAR-5-11 015.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 40
  • MAR-7-11 039.jpg
    MAR-7-11 039.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 48
  • MAR-7-11 032.jpg
    MAR-7-11 032.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My Feeder Station: pictures

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=310752&d=1298941542

This link is an attachment of my set-up viewed from my window. My feeders are set up on the deck rail 2 stories up on my patio. I have them set up all along the patio for 180 degree view, but the best view is the bedroom window next to the computer! Here just some of the vantage points are shown here.

Attachments

• MAR-7-11 038.jpg
    MAR-7-11 038.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 41
  • MAR-7-11 023.jpg
    MAR-7-11 023.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back