• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Guillemots Anglesey (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

I am visiting North Wales next week and will on Anglesey for several days. Any tips as to the best place for Black Guillemotes would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Fedw Fawr on the northeast coast (6 km north of Beaumaris) is the trad spot for seeing them.

Trouble with Fedw Fawr is it's a sod of a place to get to, although probably easier now in the days of Sat Navs. the number of times I got lost down those little windy roads! With Holyhead harbour being so reliable these days I wonder how many people go to Fedw Fawr now. Past few years I've had best luck in the Harbour between the Museum and the marina, although this has usually been a lot earlier in the year. Last time we went we only saw them distantly, looking North east from the Museum.

Slight deviation, apologies; one of my earliest birding memories was an ad. Black Guillemot perched on a house roof in Rhos-on-sea, near Great Orme. At the time (c.1972) it was a first and a surprise but my question is, are they still in that area?

Go for Holyhead harbour. Go round roundabout at entrance to ferry, ignore ferry and take next left, Turkey Shore Road.

Will take you right to end and jetty facing ferries, 53.312599, -4.620889. Last week I had 4 in there and came close. Phil

The Fish Quay as described by "Hampers" is the best place to see them on the island although once the chicks have fledged their harbour nests you won't see the adults fly past on a regular basis but they do spend time fishing in and around the entrance so it's as good as anywhere to have a look.
Cemlyn is a must visit too though, just sitting on the beach inhaling the ozone and watching the Terns is joyful!
Hope the weather picks up again for you.

Slight deviation, apologies; one of my earliest birding memories was an ad. Black Guillemot perched on a house roof in Rhos-on-sea, near Great Orme. At the time (c.1972) it was a first and a surprise but my question is, are they still in that area?

To answer your question Simon.
Fedw Fawr on Anglesey used to be the site for them, I went with a couple of mates 25+ years ago, the car wouldn't start once we'd dipped, and the breakdown van couldn't get within a mile as the lane was so narrow. A guy with a Lada tried towing us but the back of his car came away. These days Holyhead fish quay tends to be the place for them. In the last 10 or so years, there have started to be very occasional sightings from the Little Orme, which is not far from Rhos on Sea, and also the odd sighting from the Great Orme a bit further west, though still very infrequent. Although i live inbetween the 2 Ormes, i think the nearest i've ever seen one is between Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr, 5 miles west.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back