• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy? I have a Canon 10x42 IS-L, New Swarovski 8x30 CL, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Nikon 8x30 EII. I have posted on Bird Forum enough so you know what wet's my whistle. I like Swarovski's the best and Zeiss second but you might talk me into a Leica or Nikon if you are very persuasive. I don't want anything too big because I am getting tired of carrying a lot of weight. So forget the Zeiss 8x56 FL. I don't want any Habicht's because I can't stand the veiling glare and hard focus. I want something that is available and is preferably not made in China and that includes Vortex and Zen Ray. Give me some ideas. What binocular have you found that you REALLY like that you think I might like. Remember I am VERY picky. Thanks for your help in my search for the perfect binocular. I know it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy? I have a Canon 10x42 IS-L, New Swarovski 8x30 CL, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Nikon 8x30 EII. I have posted on Bird Forum enough so you know what wet's my whistle. I like Swarovski's the best and Zeiss second but you might talk me into a Leica or Nikon. I don't want anything too big because I am getting tired of carrying a lot of weight. I don't want any Habicht's because I can't stand the veiling glare and hard focus. I want something that is available and is preferably not made in China and that includes Vortex and Zen Ray. Give me some ideas. What binocular have you found that you REALLY like that you think I might like. Remember I am VERY picky. Thanks for your help in my search for the perfect binocular. I know it doesn't exist.

Dennis:

Put that money in the bank and realize that no one, in your lifetime, will EVER have a better binocular than the one you're most appreciative of ... right now. And though dozens may argue, NONE can PROVE anything different. They can easily prove their preference for stacking BBs and chatting about it. But, because of physiological and ego-oriented differences they will never be able to prove anything more. This one has better CA correction but has more field curvature. That one has better resolution but is heavier. That one has better AR coatings but more absorbant and light scattering prisms. And on and on! Talk is cheap; research require something more including other optics forums:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Dennis:

Put that money in the bank and realize that no one, in your lifetime, will EVER have a better binocular than the one you're most appreciative of ... right now. And though dozens may argue, NONE can PROVE anything different. They can easily prove their preference for stacking BBs and chatting about it. But, because of physiological and ego-oriented differences they will never be able to prove anything more. This one has better CA correction but has more field curvature. That one has better resolution but is heavier. That one has better AR coatings but more absorbant and light scattering prisms. And on and on! Talk is cheap; research require something more including other optics forums:cat:

Bill

Amen Bill. Well said.

Well just for fun, how about the Meopta 12X50 Meostar with a tripod, and you can have some funds left over to take a short trip and view with them.

A.W.

Hello Dennis and Welcome to BF! :hi:

1st recommendation, Without a doubt, Need to check these out, Cool Looks to put that Fire Out!

Superb ED Glass, 316SS Precision Smooth Steel Focuser, 550ft @1000 yards FOV, 5.6 EP, light 24 oz. package (liquid filled), 10oz (sweet aromatic filled), outstanding neutral color (if you like brown), Armor impervious to 500+ years (that's 50 generations) of environmental exposure and all for the Special Price, today (before 7pm eastern time), of just $1,999!!! :t: 8-P 3:)

Sorry Dennis, couldn't help myself...:-C :gn:

Good Luck on your Never Ending Quest! B :)

Ted

Attachments

• RBO 9.5X53MM ED Glass.JPG
    RBO 9.5X53MM ED Glass.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 48
I would sell the Nikon 8x30 and probably the 8x25; add a few more dollars to the $2K and buy a top end 8x42!!! I know you do this for entertainment value as much as practical use. The lesser dollar 8x42's won't give you the entertainment value like the top dollar ones will. Maybe the Noctivid since you have not yet owned one.

CG

Last edited:
Theo. That pipe fitting IPD adjustment looks like it would a little rough. I just like to buy new binoculars. I get a kick out of trying different models. I should be a professional binocular reviewer.

Well just for fun, how about the Meopta 12X50 Meostar with a tripod, and you can have some funds left over to take a short trip and view with them.

A.W.
I have had trouble with all three Meopta's I have tried. I am done with Meopta's. The last one had a grease leak at the focuser and a fatally flawed, loose IPD adjustment. Meopta's.8-P

Last edited:
Dennis:

Bill
But Bill that is what I like to do. Buy new binoculars and argue about what is the best one.:-O

Why not use that cash to buy a round trip ticket to go somewhere you've always wanted to go with the amazing glass you already own rather than posting about buying more binoculars on an internet forum? We get you like to try new stuff, but better is often/usually/always the enemy of good enough.

Leica 8x42 UVHD+ or why not try the 7x42 version? A 7x bins is always a pleasure to use and you don't seem to have one in your collection.

Why not use that cash to buy a round trip ticket to go somewhere you've always wanted to go with the amazing glass you already own rather than posting about buying more binoculars on an internet forum? We get you like to try new stuff, but better is often/usually/always the enemy of good enough.

:t::t:

what do you want to see better with new binoculars that you cannot with what you have?

edj

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy?

The Swarovski 8x50B I have for sale of course. And I promise to leave you money enough to buy lunch and desert. Can't beat a deal like that.

I just got back from the Yucatan birding. I have money for trips. This $2K is burning a hole in my pocket. It needs to be spent on binoculars. If I don't spend it soon my wife will.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back