• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doctor Corrie's invalid Fruit-Dove (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While following the footsteps of Edward Pierson Ramsay (1842–1916) I think I´ve stumbled upon some additional info regarding ...

corriei as in:
• the invalid "Ptilinopus corriei" RAMSAY 1876 (here):
The only specimen we possess was obtained by Dr. A. Corrie, during the cruise of H. M. S. “Pearl,” about August, 1875, at the Island of Malacola, one of the New Hebrides group, and presented to the Museum in October last. I have named this fine species in honour of its discoverer, a gentleman much devoted to the cause of science.
Today's HBW Alive Key tells us (nothing more than the above):
corriei
Dr A. Corrie (fl. 1875) Royal Navy, surgeon-naturalist, collector in the Pacific (syn. Ptilinopus tannensis).
... which I would like to expand into:

= doctor Alfred Corrie (fl.1877), whose full name was Alfred Thomas Corrie, British Naval Surgeon to the H.M.S. Pearl, (here), naturalist and collector (of both Naturalia and of etnographical items).

However; no other years found, neither of his birth, nor of his death.

If he is equal of "Alfred Thomas Corrie, 1849 - 1930" (present in some Genealogy Pages) is uknown to me. Certainly could be ... or not. No connections found (for that particular Corrie), neither to Ramsay, surgery, HMS Pearl, nor the New Hebrides Islands.

For what it´s worth!

Björn

He´s also (from 1876) mentioned five times in this Paper, 2012, (search for Corrie).

However; it looks like Corrie was still alive the 27th of January 1893, at that point aboard HMS Malabar, when he in vain tried to help the unlucky Engine room artificer Charles Phillips:

A melancholy accident happened on board the Indian troopship Malabar, on the evening of Friday, the 27th ultimo, barely an hour after the ship had left Karachi for England. A young engine-room artificer named Charles Phillips, was on duty in the engine room, and it is supposed that he was handling the low-pressure crank brasses when he slipped, overbalanced himself, and fell over the guard rail. Before he could recover himself he was struck a terrible blow on the head by the revolving crank and thrown into the crank pit below. Directly the accident was discovered Fleet-Surgeon Alfred Corrie, medical officer of the ship, was summoned, the engines were stopped, and the unfortunate man was taken out of the pit. It was then found that the blow from the revolving crank had crushed in his skull and that he had been instantly killed.

[from here, quoted from "the Hampshire Telegraph dated 18 February 1893"]

If of any help?

Björn

Ps. In Zoe Murray's Thesis (2012); To maintain order amongst a disreputable people: The case of Captain Armstrong, colonial governance and scandal at the antipodes, 1878-1887, he is called either; "Corrie, "Alfred Corrie", "Alfred T. Corrie" or even "Alfred T. C. Corrie" ... ! Where Murray found the latter version (with the added C.) is unknown to me.
--

Last edited:
Sydney Morning Herald. LIST OF DONATIONS TO THE AUSTRALIAN MUSEUM
FOR THE MONTHS OF OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER, 1875. "A fruit-pigeon, Treron sp., from Malacola, S. S. Islands. By Dr. A. Corrie, H.M.S. Pearl." He published an article A Visit to Lord Howe Island. By Alfred T. Corrie. Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London Vol. 22, No. 2 (1877 - 1878), pp. 136-143.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back