• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Africa - year list record (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I read that the Budget birders (https://budgetbirders.com) Ross and Melissa Gallardy are doing a trip to Africa Dec 19-Oct 20.

No details of their plans as yet that I can find.

Set me wondering what is the current year record for the continent?

I looked at eBird and the recent highest list was circa 1250.

Arjan Dwarshuis added 1,374 species on the continent during his global big year in 2016 - but I am not sure what his overall list was.

Both seem a little low.

Based on their normal approach - I would guess that they will beat this total and as they use eBird we should be able to see progress (albeit on Clements taxonomy)

It won't technically be a year list though will it as it straddles two years?

Has anyone ever made a dedicated effort at a continental, African year list?

Last edited:
It won't technically be a year list though will it as it straddles two years?

Has anyone ever made a dedicated effort at a continental, African year list?

Andy

Two things -

I wasnt trying to suggest that Ross & Melissa were chasing any record, but a team like that are probably going to get close (if we knew what the number was) with that amount of time.

The result of 10 months is going to end up with two numbers - a 2020 total and a Dec to Oct number - it is up to anyone who keeps the records to adjudicate which "counts".

Knowing that Ross is chasing 7000 world list, it is likely that he will avoid South Africa and Madagascar during this trip, as he has already done them. This will impact the overall total no doubt.

Andy

Two things -

I wasnt trying to suggest that Ross & Melissa were chasing any record, but a team like that are probably going to get close (if we knew what the number was) with that amount of time.

The result of 10 months is going to end up with two numbers - a 2020 total and a Dec to Oct number - it is up to anyone who keeps the records to adjudicate which "counts".

Knowing that Ross is chasing 7000 world list, it is likely that he will avoid South Africa and Madagascar during this trip, as he has already done them. This will impact the overall total no doubt.

I would guess, that one of the tour guides may have a competitive, African year list but as I said, not sure anyone has ever done one for the continent?

South Africans do year listing I think but only within SA.

Edit: I just mailed Callan Cohen, he will probably know.

Last edited:
Got this back from Callan and Ethan at 'African Birding'

'Hmmmm, I’m actually not sure what the record is

I’m copying Ethan here who might know

Callan'

'Hi all,

I don't know if there's an official continental record set, it's been something I have been trying to figure out myself. I heard something that perhaps one of the Rockjumper guys had a pretty big continental list after guiding many tours one year, but I don't know more.

I personally had 1,216 (Clements) a few years ago after Ethiopia, Kenya, South Africa, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.'

Best,
Ethan

Last edited:
vagranttwitcher.wixsite.com/bigyear?fbclid=IwAR2ui8Cg0U98wMvt9fPPREIxevkn4QfGugP1Bco_NyOQ9rxY30A5aNCvlLo

seems to have slipped under the radar.

Sybrand van Niekerk, aka Vagrant Twitcher, finished his Africa year with a total of 1508 (Clements) / 1541 (IOC). This appears to be new year record for the continent.

The blog shows just how draining this is in somewhere like Africa. https://vagranttwitcher.wixsite.com/bigyear

Despite what was on their Budget Birders website, it clear that Ross and Melissa Gallardy are yet to arrive on the continent, and start what was billed as 9/10 month visit. It will be interesting to see how they progress.

Despite what was on their Budget Birders website, it clear that Ross and Melissa Gallardy are yet to arrive on the continent, and start what was billed as 9/10 month visit. It will be interesting to see how they progress.

The journey has begun. https://budgetbirders.com/category/overlanding-africa/

Melissa and Ross have started their journey and the above link shows their intention.

It is possible to track their species numbers on eBird;

Ross's profile is https://ebird.org/profile/MjgxNTE5/world
Melissa's is https://ebird.org/profile/NDIxNzQ5/world

Normally they use iphone checklists as they go, but obviously these only update as and when they hit wi-fi, which may be infrequent in some of the areas targeted. (only one checklist and 2 species on the list so far!)

As mentioned this is not a African listing record per se, but they have a history of big numbers. They are not (currently) going to North Africa, so this will impact the overall numbers, but it will interesting comparing with previous attempts.

Skipping N-Africa won't harm their list by much.
Knowing Ross his tactics a bit, he will rather invest time in a potential Drongo split rather than a day at a beach with 10 new species of waders for his Africa list... He will still aim high ofcourse and not skip any species he can see while looking for his targets.

Skipping N-Africa won't harm their list by much.
Knowing Ross his tactics a bit, he will rather invest time in a potential Drongo split rather than a day at a beach with 10 new species of waders for his Africa list... He will still aim high ofcourse and not skip any species he can see while looking for his targets.

I agree, but dropping the Maghreb endemics will hurt.

On their way to Zimbabwe apparently

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back