• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siskins and Redpolls appealingly absent this Winter? (1 Viewer)

Good grief, I’ve obviously been living in a non-English speaking environment for too long, , L4R and now PE, I’m totally lost ( in France, as the song goes )

One, repeat one, Redwing on my patch this year so far (SW London). No Fieldfares, Siskin or Redpoll. Usually plenty of Redwings and a few of the others. The Rowan berries are all still there if there are any takers....

One, repeat one, Redwing on my patch this year so far (SW London). No Fieldfares, Siskin or Redpoll. Usually plenty of Redwings and a few of the others. The Rowan berries are all still there if there are any takers....

I’ve had probably (the same) singleton Redwing for the year which I don’t see daily, a far cry from a c4 week period around 5 years ago during Jan/Feb, when they were present in the woods outback “en masse”. I couldn’t estimate the numbers involved, but suffice to say that you couldn’t look out the window for more than c30 seconds without seeing them in singles or groups flying past...must have been a short lived epicentre, in marked contrast to the present.

(Saying it out loud may help - took me a while)

The strange thing is that a typo on an almost obsolete* word kicks up a slightly (?) commoner word which in the context used gives the opposite sense to what you would expect... that was what threw me!

(* online dictionaries say it's almost obsolete, plus a search here on BF doesn't give a single result)

That's the second** word this week from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary; even then it was archaic...
MJB
**The first word was 'imitatress', which BLI adopted for Cryptic Honeyeater...

That's the second** word this week from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary; even then it was archaic...
MJB
**The first word was 'imitatress', which BLI adopted for Cryptic Honeyeater...

Remember Googlewhacks? (See wikipedia if not).

Doing a search and getting a unique return on BF is something akin to, and a source of some pride or something I guess. Unfortunately imatatress has now appeared on 4 different threads in total, so no longer counts. 'Appealingly' is still only on one (this one), and the even rarer 'appea*ingly' (where * = r) on none.

Only real words (archaic included) count though, so eg thithkinths etc don't.

:eat:

Remember Googlewhacks? (See wikipedia if not).

Doing a search and getting a unique return on BF is something akin to, and a source of some pride or something I guess. Unfortunately imatatress has now appeared on 4 different threads in total, so no longer counts. 'Appealingly' is still only on one (this one), and the even rarer 'appea*ingly' (where * = r) on none.

Only real words (archaic included) count though, so eg thithkinths etc don't.

:eat:

Reminds me of a competition between mates in the pub where we had to come up with as many names of footballers as we could, whose first and last initial was the same, my contribution, Wayne Wooney.

Last edited:
I'm also in SW London, largely flatbound, but I'd normally expect to see a Redwing or two by now. Still none (and Fieldfares only turn up in really hard winters). As far as thrushes are concerned, I'm still walking on air from a magnificent Ring Ouzel photographed from my bedroom window on 24 October last year.

Many years since I saw a Siskin from my flat, and never a Redpoll in the 37 years I've been here.

Reminds me of a competition between mates in the pub where we had to come up with as many names of footballers as we could, whose first and last initial was the same, my contribution, Wayne Wooney.
I'd struggle to come up with the names of any footballers at all, whatever the initials :-O

Looked them up; Gary Barlow seems to be a pop singer (something called 'take that'), the other three turn out to be ex-footballers . . . so you've not named any either

Was messing with you a tad ;) Mind you don't know Pele's initials, or any that fit Andy's game criteria ... or do I ... ?

... Roy of the Rovers?

Last edited:
Getting back on topic... I was up in some larch forest in Aberdeenshire today and there were loads of Siskins feeding on the cones, along with lots of other birds. This included two Bramblings. I didn't see any Redpolls though, which was a bit surprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back