• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sir David ...what are we going to do without him? (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

I read in the times today that Sir David Attenborough is retiring after his latest series about reptiles.
A new series called "life" is being made over the next 3 years, but he isn't going to present it. Who is going to to take his place?
Not Alan Titchmarsh... Please!

ghostrider said:
I read in the times today that Sir David Attenborough is retiring after his latest series about reptiles.
A new series called "life" is being made over the next 3 years, but he isn't going to present it. Who is going to to take his place?
Not Alan Titchmarsh... Please!

LOL, Nor B Oddie hopefully! Simon King might be in the offing his dad might pull a few strings :-O

CRF

ghostrider said:
Simon King would be good.

About the only wildlife presenter I can think of who doesn't have a background in childrens tv/''comedy''?

Who else does that leave?

Matt

I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

Certainly the two others mentioned above must not be allowed anywhere near the short-list.

Alan Seaton said:
I like Simon King, but he does have that irritating habit of giving the animals names.

QUOTE]

That may be more the programme makers' decision than his. In any case, when following the trials and tribulations of a number of beasts (particularly large hierarchical groups) there's no way of following what's going on without being able to quickly identify and refer to individuals, and names are a good deal easier to remember than numbers. If, when simply illustrating a piece of animal behaviour, be it mating, feeding etc, he continues naming the animals, then I'll take that back!

For what it's worth, I also rate Simon King, but prefer Nick Baker and Chris Packham.

James

How about brains off thunderbirds hes intelegent articulate with an endering stutter.The strings might be a problem in the jungle. But im shure we would warm to his antics as he playfully fends off gs wood peckers and beavers on his travels. Probably worth the licence fee on its own.!!

I've had a few conversations about tbis. If they want a 'new attenborough', long term, rather than a jobbing presetner, then it has to be someone with an academic background like Attenborough's, to have the credibility to carry the weight of knowledge across. That only leaves Uhlenbroek. Virtually all of the rest have backgrounds in children's TV or as cameramen. I think the public does, just, still want a zoologist or biologist.

Unfortunately, however, since the BBC went to bed with Discovery and turned all their productions into the modern equivalent of Gentle Ben (contrived cutesy storylines, anthropomorphic dubbing, heavy editing to remove any scenes of sex or actual blood, a focussing on pretty cuddly things or stuff with big teeth, and a subtle eradication of any notion of evolution, all to please the USA market), anyone could now do Attenborough's narration in recent shows. He doesn't actually 'present' anymore, does he?

My heart sank when i read the Times re this new show, and the BBC guy saying it was about 'extremes of predatorial enviornments', and the 50% of life that has to kill for a living, and how they wanted to convey the "emotional" aspect of predators and their prey. So, it sounds like we're in for another show full of lions and killer whales and sharks *almost* killing things before any blood is edited out, and cutesy stories of lost little wildebeest calves who always manage to survive and arrived here through immaculate conception. All to the backdrop of a towering orchestral score that tells when to be impressed with their new camera mounted on the nose of a gnat. While actually telling us absolutely sod all about the natural world.

I vote Poecile to be the new presenter - straight to the point, cutting the crap and even with the odd fact or two for free ;)

Maybe we could get all the footage of violence & sh@gging that the Beeb edit out & get Poecile to present it on Channel 5?

Adrian

Jos Stratford said:
I vote Poecile to be the new presenter - straight to the point, cutting the crap and even with the odd fact or two for free ;)

Perfect face for radio. And the accent would need subtitles. But maybe I'll send them a tape!

abagguley said:
Maybe we could get all the footage of violence & sh@gging that the Beeb edit out & get Poecile to present it on Channel 5?

Adrian

Isn't there any violence and sh@gg1ng in the world you live in, then, or is it all censored out for you in between the Saga and stairlift adverts?

My point is that it doesn't reflect the real natural world. It reflects a sanitised version that will not scare the horses in the American market, hence no sex, no death, no evolution, hardly any science at all. It's kids tv.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back