• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

trojan horse????? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just had my nortan anti virus inform me that a virus has been detected on my computer!

the window from norton anti virus just said..a virus has been detected,unable to clear,name of virus..trojan horse.

now what???

matt

devon.birder said:
On the Symantec web site there are various removal tools
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/security_response/removaltools.jsp
Did your scan not reveal any more information about the trojan horse other than the fact it found a trojan horse?. Roger

no,there was very little technical information about where or when the virus was detected.admitadly the word trojan was highlighted as a link,but I chose not to click.

to be honest i'm a bit of a clump when it comes to computers,a friend is going have a look at it for us in the week,he also installed the norton antivirus
for us,which incidentally we have just renewed.

If it wasn't for the fact that the computer is a shared family unit I guess i'd take more responsibilty for such matters.fortunately there is no important
personal information stored on it so the worst that can happen is a minor breakdown etc,which our local pc repair chap could no doubt put right.

much thanks for the advice folks :t:

matt

This is just one reason why I got shot of Norton , it really should have picked this up on entry to your PC , unpacking it and checking on the fly instead of finding it on a regulation scan , using Nod32 now , best AV prog I've ever laid hands on , checks for updates every hour , small footprint so uses less of the PC's rescources and still runs if a virus tries to shut it down , can't recommend it enough . ps...I'm nothing to do with Nod32 or Eset , just a private user who's more than pleased .

Ashley

This is a good site for free advice on getting rid of trojans:-
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ Go to the malware removal board.

They do expect you to do a lot of the work yourself.
You are asked to get a hijackthis read-out of some of your computer files (link given for you), then you copy/paste this into your message and someone tells you which files are the ones to delete. It can take several sessions and some brainpower.

Norton and other anti-virus programs only get rid of viruses. Trojans and worms are different animals and they don't profess to get rid of these and often don't even notice them. You need Spybot http://www.spybot.info/en/spybotsd/index.html and Adaware from Lavasoft
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ to check for trojans.
Most people are advised to have one firewall, one anti-virus program and Spybot and Adaware as well.

Matt, sorry you're having trouble matey !

I can also vouch for "Spybot - Search and Destroy", and also AVG Free antivirus. Both fully free and updateable. First step is to grab both and run them, after updating first of course. I always install these on any new PC I build or buy for friends and family (doing my 43rd this week !)

The other more advanced software to get is called "Hijack This" and it shows you everything which is running on your PC, right down to system level.

If you post a listing from Hijack This in here we can examine whats going on in the pC more closely.

PM me if you need any more help. I'm also on Skype as "dh-g8ina" when Im in...

The problem with all these Spyware programs is that you need several to ensure you pick up the vast majority of problems. Every week I run AdAware which usually finds a couple of "critical" items, I then run PC Doctor which finds a couple more, then SpyBot will find something else. I end up by running Spyware Detector which will find a couple of what it calls "worms" but which are in fact "tracking cookies". I wouldn't mind betting that if I ran a fifth anti-spyware program it would also find something. I should also mention that I have Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster running in the background. The only anti spyware program that I regularly run that has never found anything is the Microsoft one. Roger

computer running as normal!

what exactly do these pesky virus things do anyway?

I read some where that they corrupt information stored on the hard disk,what exactly that entails I know not.

matt

matt green said:
computer running as normal!

what exactly do these pesky virus things do anyway?

I read some where that they corrupt information stored on the hard disk,what exactly that entails I know not.

matt
Matt, depending on exactly which trojan it is, they can do anything you can do on your PC, sometimes more. SubSeven is an old favourite:-
Once installed, SubSeven's friendly user-interface allows the attacker to easily monitor a victim's keystrokes, watch a computer's web cam, take screen shots, eavesdrop through the computer's microphone, control the mouse pointer, read and write files, and sniff traffic off the victim's local network.

A SubSeven server can also be programmed to announce itself over ICQ or Internet Relay Chat (IRC), and groups of servers can be remotely controlled as one. That makes the program particularly useful for launching distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS), in which constellations of systems are simultaneously directed to flood a single site with an overwhelming volume of traffic, as happened to Yahoo!, CNN.com, and other online giants in February 2000.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/03/13/new_subseven_trojan_unleashed/

You have a trojan, your machine is 0wn3d!

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back