• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing at last! (1 Viewer)

allanpcameron

United Kingdom
All winter I been hearing of waxwings all over Scotland and never seen one.
Over the winter there are a large number of red berry trees beside the M8 motorway through Glasgow and I always thought that'd be a good place for waxwings to congregate. But how do you slow down to look closely at the trees beside a fast flowing motorway!
There's a website with sightings for the Clyde area (www.clydebirds.co.uk) which I follow and it kept saying there are waxwings on these very trees, able to be seen from the road parallel to the motorway (Fastnet St Cranhill). So for days I've been driving along the road, hoping I don't look too suspicious to the locals. Today, after many days times trying, there they were, certainly around a dozen waxwings feeding happily. That's a new life list one for me.

Yesterday I went to Ardmore Point which is on the river Clyde and saw some wheatears, one male, two females. I was glad because that was the bird that got me back into birding. I was at my neice's wedding last September in Northern Ireland and saw some birds, and at the time I thought, "I used to know the name of those!", when I got back and looked them up they were wheatears. So to see them again now in April is a great pleasure. Also yesterday: shelducks, eiders, red breasted mergansers, redshanks, curlews, meadow pipits, pied wagtails, jackdaws, carrion crows, longtailed tits, oystercatchers, but the wheatears were the highlight.

Also, things are going really well with my garden feeders. I've regularly four tits, (great, blue, long-tailed and coal). four finches (gold, chaff, green and bull), large numbers of siskins, the usual garden suspects of robins, blackbirds, sparrows,dunnocks, starlings, collared doves and wood pigeons. Yesterday a beautiful redpoll, again a lifer for me!

First class Alan.
I'm in Cumbernauld and haven't seen any waxwings since well before christmas.
They were the very birds that started me off.
I would love to see wheatears, but I haven't had the time to go looking as of yet, but I will, Soon.
Thanks for posting the clydebirds link, (very handy) which I'll be keeping an eye on from now on.
rgds
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back