• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&W paintings (1 Viewer)

Nick Sinden

Hi..
I'm not great with computers so this is a bit of an experiment to see if my pictures upload properly! They are just black watercolour as I've not used colour for years...must try it again soon!..
I've been really impressed by the work of the contributors to this site, which I only found a couple of weeks ago but keep returning to. Anyway, here goes...

Attachments

• willow tits - Copy.jpg
    willow tits - Copy.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Skua - Copy.jpg
    Skua - Copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 196
A huge welcome from me too Nick!
Feel free to post more of these...
There is much of talent and knowledge here!

Paschalis

A huge welcome from me too Nick!
Feel free to post more of these...
There is much of talent and knowledge here!

Paschalis

we seem to be going through one of those phases on here when new people pop up

how welcome

very smart skua and gull- looks spot on

Thanks very much Mark, Paschalis, Ed and Oivind for the positive comments!..
Here are some more watercolours. Apologies for the lack of habitat and colour, they were done as a bit of decoration for the local bird report.
Nick

Attachments

• Cormorants.jpg
    Cormorants.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Hawfinch - Copy.jpg
    Hawfinch - Copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 162
  • L R P - Copy (2).jpg
    L R P - Copy (2).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Arthur, Chris, Gaby, Ken and Matt for the welcoming comments - it is great to find a bunch of people enthusiastic about wildlife art...
I have injured my right shoulder (my drawing arm!) so won't be putting any new stuff on here for a few weeks, but here are a few more recent watercolours. These have a touch of white guache in them - I must have been feeling adventurous!
Nick

Attachments

• Sparrows - Copy.jpg
    Sparrows - Copy.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 142
  • R-n Phalarope - Copy (2).jpg
    R-n Phalarope - Copy (2).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Indian Pitta - Copy.jpg
    Indian Pitta - Copy.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 147
Hi Nick,
Just admiring your brilliant b and w's! Very well done, sir. I too am finding my feet as an illustrator of bird reports (well that's the intention, anyway). I often feel b and w's don't get the recognition they deserve, especially when done as well as these. My black watercolours lack the finese of your works, so perhaps they'll inspire me to greater things.

Are these worked up from field sketches or pics, or a bit of both?

Keep up the excellent work.

Russ

Thanks Bigshent...Hawfinches are a real rarity around here unfortunately.

Russ...I've been looking through your epic thread and am very impressed - your field sketches put mine to shame!..I come away with what are more like little diagrams of interesting 'bits' of birds rather than a good likeness of the whole thing, especially when it's moving about. I then 'reassemble' the bird from my notes/memory/impressions when I'm back in the car or at home. The resulting annotated drawings will then often become the start of a painting. If so, I do check details against photos to try and prevent major blunders!..By the way, your latest set will look great in a bird report - good to hear from a fellow B&W enthusiast!
Nick

Wow, I've never tried painting in black and white before. I think I'm gonna be confused trying to do this by painting from a colour photo or real bird. You've done a great job, especially the sparrows, hawfinch and skua.

Thanks Bigshent...Hawfinches are a real rarity around here unfortunately.

Russ...I've been looking through your epic thread and am very impressed - your field sketches put mine to shame!..I come away with what are more like little diagrams of interesting 'bits' of birds rather than a good likeness of the whole thing, especially when it's moving about. I then 'reassemble' the bird from my notes/memory/impressions when I'm back in the car or at home. The resulting annotated drawings will then often become the start of a painting. If so, I do check details against photos to try and prevent major blunders!..By the way, your latest set will look great in a bird report - good to hear from a fellow B&W enthusiast!
Nick

Ahh, this is very interesting, Nick. Perhaps this way of working is the way to go! I read that ace illustrator Killian Mularney approaches life drawing this way. Making sketches of bits of the bird until he has the confidence to tackle it from bill to tail in one go. I fall short most of the time because I try to capture the whole bird in one go, which is very difficult when the subject's moving, of course. Trouble is I don't like to rely on memory for more than a couple of seconds if I can help it. The old adage of drawing what you see, not what you think you see, is always in the fore.
Having said that, if one is to draw convincing birds in flight for example, (which I constantly aspire to do) then a visual memory is a must. Perhaps it can be developed. I always try to discipline myself only to draw what I see, so consequently I end up making loads of sketches. The results are often a bit chaotic, but i find there is an 'honesty' in the lines often missing in more measured, memorised lines.

Perhaps I'm talking XXXXXXXXs!

Great stuff, though. Really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Russ

These are wonderful! Glad I'm back on the forum checking out new threads after being gone for too many weeks. Hope to see more of your work here!

tremendous work, they work so well. I have a complete inability to do line work so when I have to produce black and white work I use black watercolour - nowhere near as good as these though.

Thanks Russ, Ayuwat, John and Nick for the positive comments...

Russ - for me drawing a bird in flight always involves loads of rubbing out and redrawing of the wings until it 'feels' right...going back to it after a couple of days will then invariably mean more rubbing out and redrawing!

Here are a few pencil drawings from a while ago...

Attachments

• hoopoe - Copy.jpg
    hoopoe - Copy.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Lark&bunting - Copy.jpg
    Lark&bunting - Copy.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Little Gull - copy.jpg
    Little Gull - copy.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back