• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Strange pigeons you have up there! Mind you, our strange pigeons cling to trees, so they're all a strange bunch. I can see in the sketches that you've been away from your sketchbook, the quality of observation is as high as ever, but the lines seem more 'searched for' (if that makes sense). Not a hindrance in any way, I think it makes for some quite beautiful pages.

'Searched for' is about right, Nick - a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack at times !!
Ed - it's a load of interpretation illustration for Far Ings - on the River Humber; Roman warriors, Cement works, horse-back trolls and archaeological remains. And a few birds . . . .

I can see in the sketches that you've been away from your sketchbook, the quality of observation is as high as ever, but the lines seem more 'searched for' (if that makes sense). Not a hindrance in any way, I think it makes for some quite beautiful pages.

My thoughts exactly. I've always loved 'searching' drawings, maybe because I'm so thoroughly experienced with them.;) But I'm sure it won't be long before we see your sure lines speeding across the page again.

Nice to see some new work. I'm sure we'll all be happy when it becomes a regular part of the forum again!

Nice to see you back on here! Must be frustrating to stay away from sketching for that long. On the other hand, as the saying goes, having too much paying work is usually better than the alternative when it comes to the family economy. Or, having grown up in a rural area, there's the other saying - 'make hay while the sun shines'. ;)

your worst is still better than my best Tim....OMG horse back trolls!:eek!:

naughty boy no excuses, you can take a 20 min break now and then to make some bird sketches....we surely miss you when you're gone.

beautiful eiders, very sensitive marks

He hasn't sketched from life for other a month but he still can produce these wondrous eiders so full of life. I daren't walk away from sketching for a week, never mind a month,as I'd dread to think what my ducks would look like!

Russ

I ought to come clean . . .
Besides the piles of illustration work, there's been another reason why I haven't been BFing as much as usual - we sold our house and have been in rented accommodation for quite a few weeks now - but - we received the keys to our 'new' cottage 10 days ago and we will be returing to 'the country' after two and a half years in the 'city' of Stromness (1800 folks).
Yesterday I had to meet a plumber on-site to discuss works required. I trundled up the track at two minutes to ten. After the meeting, I took a quick glance around the property . . . first bird I saw sitting atop a hedge of hard fucsia - red-backed shrike. Killer!! in more ways than one.
From then on the day took a different tack - 30 minutes of study and enjoyment and a day-long buzz from this cracking little girl.
If ever there was a good omen, then this surely is it.
Cheers . . .

Attachments

• shrike1.jpg
    shrike1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 139
  • shrike2.jpg
    shrike2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 80
  • shrike3.jpg
    shrike3.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 134
Back in fine form, with a new sureness in the line, and even more animation...superb.....and welcome home to the new place...take some pics so we can see....

what a cracker indeed, a bird I know well now - you've caught her beautifully, so full of energy and expression. All the best with the new place, you'll really have to settle down one day!

Nice to have you back, Tim. If you're rusty, as claimed, it don't show, mate. Another sublime study of a shrike - the ultimate passerine to draw and paint.

Russ

just had to come back for a little more - addictive few pages, the bottom one of the second sheet is a pristine example of finding a bird's form through its 'interior lines' - it's allowed all the freedom of its existence without the constraint of a fixed outline. Top class.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back