• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Andalucia (2 Viewers)

Summer Birding in the south of Spain

Dear all, we've had a great summer birding across Andalucia, La Mancha, Extremadura and Portugal. We have enjoyed great bird sights and will be quite soon touring at the Strait of Gibraltar.

For those who enjoy our just made pictures, here's a short trip report on our last visit to Extremadura last week. We hope you enjoy it:

http://www.wildandalucia.com/summer-birding-monfrague-extremadura/

Just if you wonder, we've included it here because we're linking bespoke birding tours in Andalucia and Extremadura.
Happy birding everybody

Attachments

• Griffon vulture.jpg
    Griffon vulture.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 117
  • iberian magpie extremadura.jpg
    iberian magpie extremadura.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
  • vultures in mongfrague spain.jpg
    vultures in mongfrague spain.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 111
  • black stork in monfrague spain.jpg
    black stork in monfrague spain.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 117
  • birdwatching in monfrague spain.jpg
    birdwatching in monfrague spain.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 118
Birding along the Grazalema mountains

Well, talking about thoughts, I think this is an incredibly useful thread for UK and overseas birders than want to know the most recent bird sights in the whole Andalucia before planning their own trips. As I said on the first post, I am always happy to help you, so thank you to all birders that encourage this section, you've made the effort worth it!

Now, getting back to birding sights, let me tell you about the Grazalema Natural Park. Not much has been written about it here and it is an incredible hot spot for raptors and rocky bird, for sure worth at least a full day trip. We've just come back from there a few minutes ago and were delighted by these great 7:

• Bonelli's Eagle
  • Dartford, Spectacled and Sardinian Warblers
  • Blue Rock Thrush
  • Crested Tit
  • Red-billed Chough

For those interested, here's the full bird list on my e-bird channel: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39049534

Average or good physical form is a must for birding or orchid hunting across these mountains though. The nearby white villages of Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra offer a great range of accomodation and food possibilities. So, welcome to Grazalema!

Attachments

• 20170907_130913.jpg
    20170907_130913.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 120
Well, talking about thoughts, I think this is an incredibly useful thread for UK and overseas birders than want to know the most recent bird sights in the whole Andalucia before planning their own trips. As I said on the first post, I am always happy to help you, so thank you to all birders that encourage this section, you've made the effort worth it!

Now, getting back to birding sights, let me tell you about the Grazalema Natural Park. Not much has been written about it here and it is an incredible hot spot for raptors and rocky bird, for sure worth at least a full day trip. We've just come back from there a few minutes ago and were delighted by these great 7:

• Bonelli's Eagle
  • Dartford, Spectacled and Sardinian Warblers
  • Blue Rock Thrush
  • Crested Tit
  • Red-billed Chough

For those interested, here's the full bird list on my e-bird channel: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39049534

Average or good physical form is a must for birding or orchid hunting across these mountains though. The nearby white villages of Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra offer a great range of accomodation and food possibilities. So, welcome to Grazalema!

Not forgetting the resident Black Wheatears and the soon-to-arrive Alpine Accentors & Ring Ousels!

Not forgetting the resident Black Wheatears and the soon-to-arrive Alpine Accentors & Ring Ousels!

You're right John, we also saw two Black Wheatears and both Redstarts. Most of our summer visitors were gone though.:t:

A bit? Almost every post contains a link/mention to their guided tours or website.
Jos, I invite you to send me an email at any time. By the way, I saw your link about Lithuanian birds and it looks interesting

Sounds wonderful Alvaro! Please put me down for a Bonelli's, Dartford, Spectacled and Chough!

Chris
Good! Nice to hear from you, Chris! And congratulations on your enviable year list!

A bit? Almost every post contains a link/mention to their guided tours or website.

I think if Alvaro means what he says about helping people without any obligation, and I see no reason to disbelieve him, then I don't object at all to a little cheeky advertising by way of mentions of the website, etc.

Costa del Sol Birding Tour

After a long summer, we are starting to enjoy longer birding sessions in Southern Spain. Time for this awesome 7 day Malaga birding tour covering the top birding sites near the Costa del Sol.

The first day gave us really nice sights like this unexpected flock of Black Storks, Purple Heron and of course White-headed duck Osprey, Booted Eagle, Kingfisher and Flamingo. Then we went back to the hotel in the beautiful white washed town of Ronda, from where all the next trips start.

The journey in Fuente de Piedra and El Torcal de Antequera gave us lots of ticks on our trip list, like this Blue Rock Thrush trying to mob a snake. Thekla Lark, Short-toed Eagle and a surprising sight of Aquatic warbler put a nice smile on our tour party.

The journeys in the steppes of Seville was a great complement to our previous days. The Great Bustards didn’t show up this time, but it was all balanced with Hoopoe, Black Kite, Eurasian Green Woodpecker and great numbers of red-legged partridge. The mountains of Grazalema and Ronda were quite generous: Bonelli’s, Booted and Short-toed Eagle, as well as our regular Black Wheatear. Definately a great ending for this comfortable tour.:t:

The top 10 birds that we’ve seen on this tour are:

1. Bonelli’s Eagle
  2. Azure-winged magpie
  3. Black Wheatear
  4. White-headed Duck
  5. Purple Heron
  6. Black Stork
  7. Griffon Vulture
  8. Booted Eagle
  9. Rock Bunting
  10. Chough

You can also join a tour like this one at any time of the year

(Tour programme here: https://goo.gl/d6jo5D)

Attachments

• birding tour in malaga guadalhorce.jpg
    birding tour in malaga guadalhorce.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 66
  • black storks in malaga.jpg
    black storks in malaga.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 73
  • blue rock thrush and snake in malaga.jpg
    blue rock thrush and snake in malaga.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 86
  • raptors in andalucia.jpg
    raptors in andalucia.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 55
  • scottish birding friends.jpg
    scottish birding friends.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 80
Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park

Birding in Sierra de las Nieves -in Southern Spain- is an experience not many birders have lived so far. This mountain range is of the three Natural Parks that surround the town of Ronda in Southern Spain. This site is probably going to upgrade its protection status to National Park in the upcoming year and we are pleased to guide bird watching trips to this biosphere reserve.;)

Autumn is a great time of the year to have a go on our binoculars since it is still not covered with snow. Besides, the days are still quite sunny and invite us to spend a whole day here. Just a few minutes driving from the white town of Ronda we entered the Natural Park and soon penetrated the Spanish Fir level. You may know these Firs (Abies Pinsapo) are unique in the world and reach here great sizes. Greater spotted woodpeckers, Crossbills and Long-tailed tits accompanied us across the forest level.

Climbing up we noticed a group of Griffon Vultures enjoying a sunbath on top of the Spanish Firs. We checked them all carefully becasuse a Rüppell’s Vulture had recently been reported on this area. As altitude increases, the forest gives room to mountain scrub and junipers. This is very easy to see once we reach the Pilones pass. The picture below shows how the south hills are quite different to the shaded spots:

magnificent Gall Oaks (sp. alpestris) facing south and impressive Firs facing north. This variety of landscape benefits birdlife lving here and we soon it started to show up. Ring ouzels and Alpine accentors made the best of our birding journey. The accentors at the highest summits (Torrecilla peak) were very tame and we could take very close pictures of them. A pair of Red-billed Choughs stayed with us for a few minutes too.

Once we reached the summit the sky was even more clear and we could easily see not just Málaga city and some white villages like Olvera but also the Rock of Gibraltar and even the northern mountain ranges of Africa. These views balanced all the walking up and it is definately worth it.

In summary, a great day out birding with a few good bird sights and impressive ochre-blue-green mountain scenery!

Join us on for birding in Sierra de las Nieves on www.wildandalucia.com

Attachments

• acentor.jpg
    acentor.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 53
  • buitres.jpg
    buitres.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 56
  • paisajes.jpg
    paisajes.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 52
  • pajareo.jpg
    pajareo.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 60
South East Spain - Cabo de Gata

Just a few impressions on how the South East of Spain is one of the jewels for birding in Andalucía. I refer particularly to the Cabo de Gata Natural Park. Here's some facts for those wanting to experience this unique bird spot, where rocky scenery merges into a blue sea like no other:

- My two favourite spots for birding:the Escullos shore and ramblas (dry riverbeds), and the marshes in Cabo de Gata village.

- Top birds: Trumpeter Finch, Audoin's Gull, Lesser Short Toed Lark, Black Wheatear, Thekla and Dupont's Lark.

- Other Nature attractions: the posidonia prairies, the several millenary olive trees.

Attachments

• birding salinas cabo de gata.jpg
    birding salinas cabo de gata.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 45
  • lesser short toed lark spain.jpg
    lesser short toed lark spain.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 60
  • warblers cabo de gata.jpg
    warblers cabo de gata.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Just a few impressions on how the South East of Spain is one of the jewels for birding in Andalucía. I refer particularly to the Cabo de Gata Natural Park. Here's some facts for those wanting to experience this unique bird spot, where rocky scenery merges into a blue sea like no other:

- My two favourite spots for birding:the Escullos shore and ramblas (dry riverbeds), and the marshes in Cabo de Gata village.

- Top birds: Trumpeter Finch, Audoin's Gull, Lesser Short Toed Lark, Black Wheatear, Thekla and Dupont's Lark.

- Other Nature attractions: the posidonia prairies, the several millenary olive trees.

Looks and sounds wonderful Alvaro! All those birds would be targets for me!

Chris

Last edited:
Birding in Sierra de Andujar

This is my first post telling you about the Sierra de Andújar Natural Park, in the province of Jaén.
A terrific example of mediterranean forest well preserved, where ancient holm oaks form dehesas, surrounded by the Jándula river. Most of the birders visiting this site have already heard that it is a great place for Iberian Lynx, which we found mating...absolutely amazing. But getting back to birds, if we list just the three below, the magnificence of the place talks for itself:
  • Spanish imperial eagle (in the picture)
  • Black vulture
  • Iberian (azure-winged) magpie
Definately worth a visit year round.

Attachments

• Águila-imperial-Andújar.jpg
    Águila-imperial-Andújar.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 67
  • linces ibericos.jpg
    linces ibericos.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 61
  • ciervo andujar.jpg
    ciervo andujar.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back