• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird S Padre Island, TX, USA (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi,
this photo from around New Year has me second-guessing myself, so what is it?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Shorebird q 1 P1050949.JPG
    Shorebird q 1 P1050949.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 117
Challenging photo! I'm leaning towards Dowitcher sp. Much more likely at this location at this time of year according to eBird, and I'm having trouble finding photos of a Red Knot with a yellowish bill base.

Jim

Agree red knot.greenish legs,white feather edging.

Red Knot have Black legs so I agree with Dowitcher species- as to which one I lean towards Short billed as the tail does not look more black than white and lack of barring in the flanks.

Dont see many through interiour here Joan.Quoting from peterson guide for leg color.Refers to juveniles.As J. mentions difficulty with correct color toned RK bill pic,cant put anything up to counter.Did read about leuc.RK's sometime showing a off black bill.

It is a dowitcher, as Jim said. The base of the bill is pale, and there is a lot of white on the tail. Red Knots are much less common in Texas than either dowitcher in the dead of winter.

I am thinking Short-billed, as the tail does not have a lot of black markings, and the flanks have more of a spotted, rather than barred, appearance.

Thank you all. I have other images which I think show a bill too long for Red Knot, and should have included one of those.

thanks
Niels

Def not a Knot. The proportions are wrong, Knot are stockier ( I know it can change with stance etc. ), the legs look proportionally too long - and black, not green, the upperparts are quite heavily marked with paler margins - not internal 'anchors', the markings on the underparts, particularly up by the breast sides, aren't chevrons, the face pattern is too bold and the barring on the tail is too thin. Short-billed Dowitcher for me.

Chris

Dowitcher for me too. If I had to guess I'd say short-billed (it doesn't look round enough for long-billed), but it's really hard to say either way.

This image (even if unclear) should dispel any thought of Knot

I take it that SB Dowitcher is the consensus

Niels

Attachments

• P1050948_resize.JPG
    P1050948_resize.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back