• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd pipit?, Glos, UK (1 Viewer)

Mabbs

I saw this bird a few times getting up with a flock of Meadow pipit. It was easy to pick out amongst the flock in flight due to the shorter tail and different flight. I didn't see it on the ground and didn't hear it call unfortunately.

Shocking pics I know. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_9341 002_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_9341 002_edited-1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_9345 004_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_9345 004_edited-2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 286
Difficult to tell conclusively, or ever, from these photos. But the fact that you found it so "short-tailed and different?" And looking at the the Jizz in the photos? I'd say it has a "Lark Feel" to it. Ken's suggestion of Woodlark fits my feeling on the snaps. Having seen many in flight. The pics best remind me of this bird. Short-tailed, dumpy, bat-winged bird. But I wouldn't advocate confirming this on the evidence at hand, without better pics or a call description. But it's the right time in Glos to have one on migration!;)

Not a lot to go on... but wouldn't a Woodlark stand out as bigger/stockier in a flock of Mipits?

If it was Pipit-sized, then aside from a Mipit regrowing its tail, the one that looks obviously short tailed in flight is Pechora!!!

I can't place this bill on Woodlark either.
Any refinements to be had on the flight and proportions compared with the Meadow pipits Mabbs?

The wings look far too broad for a pipit...and the flight was described as quite different from Anthus....Woodlarks are on the move at this time, and assuming the tail to be normal, coupled with what I might describe as looking more deep bodied. I'd have thought Woodlark would have been the most likely contender.

If this would be a Woodlark concerning wingshape ,then we are allowed to compare to this one http://www.davefoker.co.uk/photo_8446405.html
and consequently, we are stuck with that species.
But.. the very same picture still allows to proceed to pipit spec. (ambiguous that is)
Still some options left with this wingshape perhaps but this bird is within anthus I reckon

Its certainly compatible with Woodlark shape-wise. Just need Mabbs to confirm that it was larger.

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 153
If this would be a Woodlark concerning wingshape ,then we are allowed to compare to this one http://www.davefoker.co.uk/photo_8446405.html
and consequently, we are stuck with that species.
But.. the very same picture still allows to proceed to pipit spec. (ambiguous that is)
Still some options left with this wingshape perhaps but this bird is within anthus I reckon

You know, I'm not sure that that bird isn't a Tree Pipit- the Tertials look HUGE

I believe most passerines have a shorter P1 than P2 and I believe that includes Anthus.

Here's a profile shot of Trip. compare....

Attachments

• Trip.in flight.jpg
    Trip.in flight.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for the feedback. I thought woodlark at the time but just didn't appear to have a lark flight. Not that i have seen many though. Just didn't seem as undulating like i would have expected for WL. Profile fits well for WL though. All i could hear were the other mipits as the flock got up and it was bevaving very pipit like. It was fading light and the birds were never up for long. A tricky one. Thanks again

I went up the following day but there was no sign of it or the flock it was with. Shame not to get a positive ID.

Yeah both pics are the same bird. No doubt on that front. I think I would have been struck by the size difference had it been a woodlark. Cheers for response. Will see if any other shots would shed any light.

My first impression from the thumbnails was Woodlark. My second impression from the photos was Alpine Accentor :eek!:

I think OBP would be more likely than Tree Pipit at this time of year?

it looks a bit too round bellied for a pipit. woodlark for me. can we tell anything from the shape of wings (quite square, first pic)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back