• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Columbia National Avery - Passerine with black head, white eye and belly (1 Viewer)

Or Plush-crested Jay
as it's a cage bird (not permitted under posting rules usually) it's impossible to use range as a guide.

Andy

Last edited:
Or Plush-crested Jay
as it's a cage bird (not permitted under posting rules usually) it's impossible to use range as a guide.

Andy
This one was at the Columbia National Avery near Cartagena. The Avery is very large and birds are allowed to fly about in natural environments. We were only the second group to be allowed to visit the Avery. Was told the majority of the birds were from surrounding area and were being rehabilitated for release into the wild. They were either injured or being kept illegally as pets. This one chose to perch next to a chain link fence intended to keep humans from tramping through the natural vegetation. I apologize for misusing this site. I do have a number of photos of macaws, parrots and toucans I need help with. Would it be better for me to request one of you experts to take a look at them at one of my galleries rather than posting photos here? The guides that took us through the Avery were Spanish speaking and not very good at giving us correct names.

This one was at the Columbia National Avery near Cartagena. The Avery is very large and birds are allowed to fly about in natural environments. We were only the second group to be allowed to visit the Avery. Was told the majority of the birds were from surrounding area and were being rehabilitated for release into the wild. They were either injured or being kept illegally as pets. This one chose to perch next to a chain link fence intended to keep humans from tramping through the natural vegetation. I apologize for misusing this site. I do have a number of photos of macaws, parrots and toucans I need help with. Would it be better for me to request one of you experts to take a look at them at one of my galleries rather than posting photos here? The guides that took us through the Avery were Spanish speaking and not very good at giving us correct names.

Doesn't bother me actually Greig,
just seems to be my posts that get removed?

As far as I can see, none of these Jays actually occur in Colombia?

Andy

Doesn't bother me actually Greig,
just seems to be my posts that get removed?

As far as I can see, none of these Jays actually occur in Colombia?

Andy

The Black-chested is included in the Columbia bird list I have been using.
Thanks for your ongoing help!

The Black-chested is in my Hilty and Brown guidebook, and are described as common in dry to humid forests in N Colombia.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back