• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

November concluded with a total of 88 species, slightly below the average return of 89.71 species. One feature of this year is that it has yet to record either a highest or a monthly total - will December (which has the smallest variation of highest to lowest returns - 85 to 82) change that position?

The are now at final knockings for the year list which presently stands on a tantalising 148 species. Possible additions to this total may include:

Pink-footed Goose, White-fronted Goose, Scaup, Bittern, Merlin, Grey Plover, Knot, Great Black-backed Gull, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Waxwing, Mealy Redpoll

From an icy Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

2 Shelduck still, 2 Wigeon (pair), 2 Water Rail calling, Green Sandpiper over, Cetti's Warbler, at least 2000 Starling in the North Moors roost.

Jack Snipe on the promentary at the Moors Pool as per Andy P.

Merlin flew behind the east hide at the Moors Pool as per Tim O - puts the year on a tantalising 149 species ...

normally I start ,Just some photos from the today but I had a first for Upton today stood by the gate to east hide looking for Treecreeper, a couple of birders came down from the hide after a chat we noticed a Wren climbing up the tree opposite, at which point we noticed a small raptor flying close to us just the other side of the tree it was fast,dark,anchor shaped with a square tail blackbird size,at this point the women said Merlin, it carried on behind the hide up to the tree to the left .I rushed up to the hide to let all know but it had flown.Anyway here's some photos

Attachments

• IMG_9239.JPG
    IMG_9239.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9240 (2).JPG
    IMG_9240 (2).JPG
    600.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9242.JPG
    IMG_9242.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9249.JPG
    IMG_9249.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 93
Blackcap pictures

Still spindle berries on the causeway at The Moors for this female Blackcap.

Attachments

• Blackcap-0164.jpg
    Blackcap-0164.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Blackcap-0186.jpg
    Blackcap-0186.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Blackcap-0203.jpg
    Blackcap-0203.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 69
Today's work party FLASHES

Many thanks to all 25 of the crew today..amaxing effort all missions accomplished.
1. Screening off the archery field from the east side of the Hen pool. There was a large gap where the diggers had gained access to work on the Hen pool project back in September. Today we created a rustic looking willow screen not only does it look good but it will also act as a scoffold to join 2 clumps of bramblewhich will in a short petiod form a complete line running the whole length of the archery field. The willows used to create the screen was the brash piled up after contractors had installed a new border fence which cut through a line of willows in the archery field.

2. The Hen pool hide also had a new screen erected to screen off the now very open Hen pool . This is important as birds would be able to see people entering the hide.

3. The shelves in the Hen pool were lowered to enable a more comfortable experience when birding from there.

4. The hen brook had many log/debris blockages..these were removed to enable a more unrestricted flow.

5. At the newly created Hen brook triangle area towards the sewage works we removed fallen willows and coppiced others. This will open up the new area along the hen brook where a new scrape has been created. The brook has also been reshaped with meanders and bays that should be attractive to a wide range of wetland birds .

Thanks to
Alan D. Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Dave H. Ellen A. Graham L. Ian B. Ian Joh. Jim B. John. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nigel C. Ray C. Roger S. Steve S. Tony B and me plus newbies Chris (Steve's wife and 1st time on a Tuesday Mike W.
Thanks also to Julie for the cakes. :eat:
John
ps 2nd Tuesday in the month Tony has volunteered to cook cake B :)

Birding the Reserve Today

Arrived at 6.50am left at 4.50pm
Not as cold as yesterday although the Flashes were still frozen am. Most of scrape and Broadmeadow were still frozen but main Moors pool fully open.
Duck numbers still haven't recovered since the floods 3 weeks or ago.
Snipe were still in good numbers this morning as the birds slept on the promontory were a single Jack snipe was also present. This evening they were actively feeding along the east bank (below East hide) and along the southern bank and seadonal pool. The other highlight at the Moors this morning was the massive numbers of goldfinch. Two large groups joined together over Lifestyles this was probaly the most I have ever seen at the reserve ..150+!.
Later probably part of this flock flew over the Hen pool.
I didnt do a lot of birding at the FLASHES but did see Little egret several teal and heard 2 Cetti's warblers.
Back to the Moors for the roost when I saw both the Starlings and pied wags being harassed by a small immature sparrowhawk.

Species counts:
MOORS:- Little grebe 3. Cormorant 5. Mute swan 2. Greylag 12. Canadas 210.
Shoveler 11. Gadwall 8. Teal 28. Shelduck. Mallard 40+. Tufted 30+. Pochard 5.
Coot c25-30. Water rail 3 calling..
Grey heron 2.
Snipe 65. Jack snipe. Lapwing 3
BHG 50. LBBG
Kestrel. Buzzard. Sparrowhawk.
Green woodpecker. Great sp woodp. Kingfisher
Starling 600. Pied wag 150+. Redwing c10. Fieldfare 5.
Goldfinch 150+. Bullfinch 2.
Cetti's w 3. Coal tit. Stonechat female. Meadow pipit.
Reed bunting.

SAILING POOL:- GCG 7. Mute swan 6 (5juvs) Tufted 4. Coot 5. Kingfisher

FLASHES:- teal 15. Little egret. Water rail. Curlew heard.
Kestrel
Cetti's w 2. Goldfinch 60+.
I was told there were 2 Stonechats early pm.

Very surprised to see a Chiffchaff still, up by North Moors Hide.

Two kingfishers flew across the sailing pool as I came out of the gate from the flashes.

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 Barn Owls until 0740, 5 Green Sandpiper, 11 Curlew, Snipe, 52 Lapwing, Shelduck, 25 Teal, Chiffchaff, 8 Meadow Pipit, 6 Fieldfare, 3 Redwing, Sparrowhawk.

5 Great Crested Grebe, 6 Tufted Duck and 2 Grey Heron at the Sailing Pool.

From the Moors Pool Andy P and Phil W report:

First winter Common Gull, 3 Shelduck, 5 Pochard, 3 Gadwall, 12 Shoveler, 26 Teal, 28 Tufted Duck, 2 Mute Swan, Little Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Jack Snipe, 42 Snipe, 57 Lapwing, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back