• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

to tick or not to tick? (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
that is the question.
On 14.9.1994 I saw a pale grey-coloured small skua flying N in a strong wind off St Mary's Island, Newcastle.
I never ticked it as a long-tailed skua (which would be a lifer for me) as I felt I couldn't eliminate 1st summer artic skua.
However, Michael Frankis tells me:
there were 23 [long-taileds] N at St Mary's on that day, all juvs, the biggest passage of the year (also 39 juv Arctics N as well, but they wouldn't be cold grey)
I feel inclined to award myself a tick after 10 years. What would others do?
Ken

I can empathize your quandary as I have been in a similar position on numerous occasions, but nowadays I'm quite rigid in that I won't include a bird as a tick unless I'm 100% satisfied myself as to it's identity. In these circumstances whilst I value Michael's opinion very highly, the fact they were seen passing at the right time period wouldn't be enough for me. Now if I had Michael stood beside me when I saw it and he confirmed the ID then that would be a different matter!

Sorry Surreybirder but I have to agree with IanF on this one, especially for a life tick. LT Skua was a bogey bird for me for a number of years until 2002. Keep seawatching and I'm sure you'll see.

Good luck
Tom

Looks as if it remains a bogey bird.
It was one of those occasions where, by the time I had established it was a skua (white wing flashes primarily) and got its general colour it was too late to start looking for ventral barring etc.
If only a nice adult in breeding plumage would pass me by. It goes without saying that LTSs are rare in Surrey.

IanF said:
Now if I had Michael stood beside me when I saw it and he confirmed the ID then that would be a different matter!

Personaly, I wouldn't tick it unless I was certain beyond resonable doubt based on my own observations. For lifers I take others ids as indications only. Needless to say, this approach has cost me a number of lifers, but it is a pleasure saved for later occasions.

On the other hand, I know many who doesn't have this rigid approach. They can't possibly get the same enjoyment from a new lifer.

The same for me, I only tick when I am really convinced that I am correct (although mistakes are made by everybody). Other people can be a (great) help to point at some species and explain why it is that species, but I still want to see the features myself. It happened already at least two times that someone, who I regarded as an expert, pointed out a possible new lifer, but when I later looked at the photo I made, it showed that it was a different species!

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back