• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.6x extender coming! (1 Viewer)

So this is now out and in the field.... Think this would be a better investment than upgrading to the new zoom but wondered if anyone has tried it with the 30x? Would give a 48x and if it retains the clarity and qualities or at least has minimal drop off then this combo would blow any other fixed lenses out of the water. Ideal for seawatching and scanning the flat Lincolnshire expanses. Any reviews or digiscoped photos (especially with smartphones) would be much appreciated. Thank you
T
I like the 30X but I bought the 25-60 zoom along with a new 883 body. After a lot of "looks" I just could not justify the 30X. Also, the Kowa 30X is now discontinued, probably due to the superb performance of the 25-60.

I used a 30X exclusively on my ED82A for many years and I loved it. The Kowa 25-60 does more and it does it better.

I have a 883 and I am thinking of getting this. I assume the stay-on case part that goes over a normal eyepiece is unusable when the extender is in use. As I wouldn't fancy taking eyepiece's on and off out in the field on a wet day like today.

I have a 883 and I am thinking of getting this. I assume the stay-on case part that goes over a normal eyepiece is unusable when the extender is in use. As I wouldn't fancy taking eyepiece's on and off out in the field on a wet day like today.

You can just about use the stay on case when the extender is in use by using the one top press stud only.

Chris.T.

I like the 30X but I bought the 25-60 zoom along with a new 883 body. After a lot of "looks" I just could not justify the 30X. Also, the Kowa 30X is now discontinued, probably due to the superb performance of the 25-60.

I used a 30X exclusively on my ED82A for many years and I loved it. The Kowa 25-60 does more and it does it better.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I already have the 30x as I got it when I bought the scope several years back. Just wondering if anyone that has the extender has the wide as well and knows if they are compatible and also if they perform well together. I wasn't sure if this 1.6 lens was purely designed to enhance the zoom eyepieces.
Thank you for your replies.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I already have the 30x as I got it when I bought the scope several years back. Just wondering if anyone that has the extender has the wide as well and knows if they are compatible and also if they perform well together. I wasn't sure if this 1.6 lens was purely designed to enhance the zoom eyepieces.
I'm not sure but I can't see why it wouldn't work with the 30X.
Here's the customer service email.
[email protected]
They respond quickly and should have your answer.

Hope it works for you.

PS
I originally thought it would be more versatile just to add the 25-60 zoom instead of increasing the fixed 30X to 48X. Then again, the zoom is a more expensive route to your goal.

Eagle Optics was due to get them in on Dec. 1, but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they get into the U.S. soon! Ki mmo's endorsement of the extender sealed it. I want one ASAP!

Last edited:
Eagle Optics was due to get them in on Dec. 1, but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they get into the U.S. soon! Ki mmo's endorsement of the extender sealed it. I want one ASAP!

Wow--Nyla at Eagle Optics called this morning and said they got the extenders in and I have one coming before Christmas. They still show out of stock on their site but they are going through their presales first. Might be a good idea to give them a call!

according to a dealer in Sweden the new extender will work with the 30x and the two zooms

25-60xW (TE-11WZ) -> 40-96x, FOV 26-14 m/1000 m (1.5-0.82 °), EP 2.2-0.9 mm (880)

20-60x (TE-10Z) -> 32-96x, FOV 24-12 m/1000 m (1.4-0.7 °), EP 2.8-0.9 mm (880)

30xW (TE-17W) -> 48x, FOV 26 m/1000 m (1.5 grader), EP 1.8 mm (880)

Anyone who owns an 883, get this lens. You are wasting the ability of your scope without it. It's like you're driving a Ferrari with only 4 gears. You will absolutely not regret this purchase. I used it in dull conditions and was amazed. Works beautifully with the 30x and even with the original 20-60. The new 25-60 must be awesome with it.

Anyone who owns an 883, get this lens. You are wasting the ability of your scope without it. It's like you're driving a Ferrari with only 4 gears. You will absolutely not regret this purchase. I used it in dull conditions and was amazed. Works beautifully with the 30x and even with the original 20-60. The new 25-60 must be awesome with it.
Totally agree! Just received mine today from Aceoptics in UK (I only ordered it late yesterday!). I'm amazed at the clarity, sharpness and brightness, I wasn't expecting it to be this good! Not regretting this purchase at all. Just need Kowa to make a slightly longer lens piece cover as the extra length is just a bit to long to allow upper and lower press studs on cover to be used. It still works fine though and provides protection to lens. :t:

Totally agree! Just received mine today from Aceoptics in UK (I only ordered it late yesterday!). I'm amazed at the clarity, sharpness and brightness, I wasn't expecting it to be this good! Not regretting this purchase at all. Just need Kowa to make a slightly longer lens piece cover as the extra length is just a bit to long to allow upper and lower press studs on cover to be used. It still works fine though and provides protection to lens. :t:

Mine didn't come with a case, just a selotaped bit of bubble wrap. Think I'll only be taking it off in really poor light conditions. Used it as dusk the other day at Warham Greens gate and picked a Barn Owl out near the Well's pines. Unreal.

Mine didn't come with a case, just a selotaped bit of bubble wrap. Think I'll only be taking it off in really poor light conditions. Used it as dusk the other day at Warham Greens gate and picked a Barn Owl out near the Well's pines. Unreal.

Sorry, my fault I wasn't clear, what I meant was the eye piece lens cover that attaches to the stay on case. It's slightly too short to completely attach with the extender in place, just by the top single press stud only. I won't be removing the extender now it's installed. :t:

We had a letter from Ace as that's where we bought our scope from, brilliant service. Would like to see one in use before parting with the money though don't have much to spare at the moment!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back