• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Monarchs still moving here, a few Painted Ladies as well (must be honest, though, and admit that I didn't check closely for American Lady;)). Also the ever-present and ever-annoying Cabbage Whites...

3 Red Admiral and 2 Peacock in the end, plus a Small Tortoiseshell and a very fast honorary butterfly (day-flying moth); a Hummingbird Hawk-moth to end the day.

Found a fairly comatose but fairly fresh looking Painted Lady on a Wimbledon lawn today. I went to pick it up + flapped its wings quite a bit but probably not warm enough for it to get airborne. a pretty grey, dreary day.

Very dozy singles of Red Admiral and Peacock along with 2 slightly more spritely Speckled Wood today.
Also the first PRIMROSES!

Red Admiral today, with Peacock, Speckled Wood and Comma still in the last few days.

No Monarchs yet though!!

Last edited:
Similar mix over here on Scilly. One or two Clouded Yellows (not mine) and the odd Small Copper. I also saw a Blue butterfly on St Agnes. Unidentified at present. No Monarchs here either.

Still a few butterflies around here, with many Monarchs and a few Lady sp migrating through in addition to a few lingering sulphurs (Clouded/Orange).

I saw a butterfly in the car park of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, on the south side of Edinburgh this afternoon. Quite a Big one, so possibly a Peacock.

David

Yesterday in Southampton, a few Red Admirals, a Speckled Wood and a Brimstone. I don't suppose they were still there in today's gales.
David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back