• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (1 Viewer)

Fungi

It's not just other ladybirds that our natives need to worry about - they suffer from parasitoids and diseases. One particular problem is infestation by fungi of the Laboulbienales group. This is slow-growing and doesn't immediately kill the ladybird so is most often seen early in the year. Very common on 2-spots (as the picture) in London. Is it seen much anywhere else?

Attachments

• Laboulbienales.jpg
    Laboulbienales.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 224
'Ladybird' for confirmation

Could someone please confirm that this small ladybird is
Scymnus haemorrhoidalis, it was swept from a wet meadow
along with Coccidula rufa.

Stuart.

Attachments

• DSCN9977 (3).JPG
    DSCN9977 (3).JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN9980 (3).JPG
    DSCN9980 (3).JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 219
There's a good chance - *if* it's Scymnus then it looks right although the antennae perhaps rather long? This isn't an easy one from a photo: there are other similar genera (e.g. Phalacrus). Some of the distinguishing features are on the underside of the body...... I'm also not sure whether it would be found in a wet habitat (unlike C. rufa) - it is found in long, dense grass so perhaps wet/dry isn't relevant?
Stuart Read said:
Could someone please confirm that this small ladybird is
Scymnus haemorrhoidalis, it was swept from a wet meadow
along with Coccidula rufa.

Stuart.

Immaculate herlequins

A lot of the current generation of Harmonia axyridis are poorly spotted or un-spotted - seems to be an early summer phenomenon.
This picture from the back also shows, not too well, a feature of the 'harlequin' that can distinguish it from British ladybirds - it has a 'keel' towards the end of its body - there are slightly raised ridges around a depression at the end of each elytron.

Attachments

• hax060606spotless.jpg
    hax060606spotless.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 234
Harlequin Ladybird

Is this the Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis)
Take in my back garden to day
hugh

Attachments

• c-1-DSC_0101.jpg
    c-1-DSC_0101.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 229
  • c-1-DSC_0103.jpg
    c-1-DSC_0103.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 219
  • c-1-DSC_0104.jpg
    c-1-DSC_0104.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 221
  • c-1-DSC_0106.jpg
    c-1-DSC_0106.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 217
Yellow ladybird?

This morning I saw a yellow ladybird with white spots. My first thought was "harlequin" but I've looked at lots of pictures and haven't seen one similar. It was only the size of a common ladybird too. It's legs were pale yellow and the only thing that looked dark about it was it's eyes which appeared to be black. I went to look for something to capture it in for a closer look but of course when I returned it was gone!
Can anybody identify it please?

roosmum said:
This morning I saw a yellow ladybird with white spots. My first thought was "harlequin" but I've looked at lots of pictures and haven't seen one similar. It was only the size of a common ladybird too. It's legs were pale yellow and the only thing that looked dark about it was it's eyes which appeared to be black. I went to look for something to capture it in for a closer look but of course when I returned it was gone!

Possibly 16-spot Ladybird

Sorry, can't identify without a spot check! There are two (serious) possibilities: the cream-spot ladybird (Calvia quattuordecimguttata) and the orange ladybird (Halyzia sedecimguttata). Outside bets are the eighteen-spot ladybird and various exotics. The cream-spot is the most likely - this prefers trees but is not uncommonly seen on other plants.
However, I would describe both of these as having brown/orange background colours (paler when 'new') rather than yellow.
For future reference, the 'harlequin' ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) *never* has cream spots - they may be orange, almost yellow sometimes, but not white/cream.
Cheers, Paul

roosmum said:

Ladybird for ID

Paxton Pits, Cambridgeshire 2006-06-25 - very small, I would guess its some form of either 2 or 10 spot.
All reasonable suggestions for an ID welcomed,
Thanks
Hugh

Attachments

• 56F25D3619.jpg
    56F25D3619.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 241
Yes, you'd be right! Problem is, this is an immature - has recently emerged from the pupa. Most likely it's a 10-spot melanic but the critical diagnosis would be the underside/leg colouriing of the beetle *when* it had reached full colouration. But I'd give you 99-1 that it's Adalia decempunctata! The 'lunata' form of the A. bipunctata is quite rare.

138mph said:
Paxton Pits, Cambridgeshire 2006-06-25 - very small, I would guess its some form of either 2 or 10 spot.
All reasonable suggestions for an ID welcomed,
Thanks
Hugh

Thanks Paul.

Just thought it worth mentioning that this particular ladybird was seemingly being attacked by an early instar of the Blue Shield Bug, Zicrona caerulea , whose prey is listed as larva of leaf beetles, moths, and butterflies.

Most predators will take anything that moves if they can't find their preferred prey. Possibly, at the moment, there are not too many caterpillars about (been eaten by those birds!) so the bug is seeking something else. This week, studying ladybirds on a group of trees I've seen ladybirds attacked by spiders and anthocorid bugs, as well as (and most often) by other ladybirds; as well as being parasitised by wasps and flies. It's a jungle out there!

ladybirds.
138mph said:
Thanks Paul.
Just thought it worth mentioning that this particular ladybird was seemingly being attacked by an early instar of the Blue Shield Bug, Zicrona caerulea , whose prey is listed as larva of leaf beetles, moths, and butterflies.

Ladybird "I.D."

Found a couple of these on the coast at the weekend and thought perhaps they could be young Cream Spotted ladybirds ? as the spots seem to be in a line.
any links to Ladybird ID welcome
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_5934.JPG
    IMG_5934.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 265
I'm no expert, but I think it could be a 10 spot (Adalia decimpunctata...scientific name could even be wrong !). They are very variable, and similar in size to the also very variable 2 spot (Adalia bipunctata), but apparently have yellowish rather than black legs. Was it the size of a 2 spot ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back