• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta Dimage digital cameras (1 Viewer)

Hi McCruiskeen,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Hi not used the dimage 7 but have tried a A1 and this is completely useless in that the objective lens is too large hopefully someone can give you more info regards the dimage 7.

pete

Pete,

Thanks for your information. I suspected as much with the 49mm filter thread on the Dimage lens. I have a Tokina 500mm catadioptric mirror lens and a 2x converter for my Pentax ME Super, but with the converter on, the aperture is very reduced, requiring fairly bright light or very fast film. two tripods doesn't appeal either (one for scope and one for camera/lens)!

regards.....Paul

hi Paul

i have a dimage 7 sitting in a cupboard gathering dust waiting for it to become an antique. There is a solution, on one of the yahoo groups someone has used a standard 50mm lens with a larger thread than the dimage on a swaro scope and produced some outstanding results. The user had used the adapter from swaro.
The problem i see with the dimage is the way it eats batteries you will spend more time changing the batteries than birding. The other problem may be focusing through either the LCD screen or eye piece (LCD type not direct view). These were the main reason i gave up on the Dimage 7.
Sorry to be so negative about the Dimage 7

cheers geoff

Using Minolta for digiscoping

Hi Paul,

I am using a Minolta A2 at present as an all round nature photography camera. I agree with Pete that the large lens is less than ideal for use with a scope, but I have got some OKish results by fitting a 49 to 43mm step down ring to the camera. This is exactly the right diameter to locate on the eyepiece of my Opticron scope and really helps to centre the lens. I also use a SRB universal adapter to support the camera. There is vignetting at all focal lengths but the picture can be cropped to remove this or you can experiment with digital zoom to isolate the centre of the image (although with loss of quality).
On the plus side the anti shake feature on the A2 is excellent in allowing pictures at slower shutter speeds.
Like you I'm in County Durham so if you want to compare notes I'll be pleased to talk to you.

regards

David

Last edited:
Dimage 7i,
Hi All.... yes i use a 7i and held it on the lens of my swraovski with stunning results although not the best as the experts would say BUT. i find this the best all round camera and had some really good results just using the standars zoom and blowing it up on Photoshop. the camera settings i use are quality 2 size 4, that way i have 70+ pics on a card. the ideal small lens cameras like the Nikon they all rave on about has many down sides to it, the 7i is more like an SLR to use & very versitile. i am glad of my choice and would not change from the 7i... fantastic camera & results from close up to very long range. you have to try one for yourself before parting with a lot of money, maybe Jessop or another would lend you one to try for a day or so if you go about begging the right way. good luck & happy birding

wizzard

Dimage 7i.
almost forgot, on a sunny day you can still see what your taking throuth the camera view finder unlike the so called perfect Nikon cameras, this is a very big point to me so you really need to try it yourself

go for it

I'll second Wizard's point about the viewfinder. I spent two hours yesterday in Northumberland photographing waders on a very bright and sunny beach and found the electronic viewfinder on my A2 a real boon. Framing and shooting was really easy.

All I've got to do now is work out a way of keeping the birds in one place!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back