• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of Vanellus gregarius(Sociable Lapwing (Plover)) (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
I just heard that in a recent survey in the breeding area of the speices only 200 pairs were found :eek!: .

Is this so?Does anyone have more info?

I heard the info from someone who is high in our birding circles.

PS.On a side note...2 young Slender-billed Curlew were seen in my country for 2004... :bounce: .

(This is info is again from the same guy.)

Yes Dimi

true about Sociable Plover, probalby due to mosaic-ing of the habitat preventing birds from joining pre-migratory groups and then getting lost

see BirdLife International site

Dimitris said:
Thanks for the info evryone! :).(even though it's not very err... nice)
There was a good posting on the UK400 website from a guy who claimed 1200 SP's in Turkey in Sept this year.He also filmed them and although the quality isnt great the gen does seem authentic :cool:

mark ridsdale said:
There was a good posting on the UK400 website from a guy who claimed 1200 SP's in Turkey in Sept this year.He also filmed them and although the quality isnt great the gen does seem authentic :cool:

Thanx for the info Mark.That really is good news.

Cheers,

Dimitris.

Perhaps they have moved into another area.

The White-tailed Lawping has started breeding in Ronanis and the surrounding area. So maybe the S.Lawping is doing the same?(hopefully)

Dimitris said:
Thanx for the info Mark.That really is good news.

Cheers,

Dimitris.

Perhaps they have moved into another area.

The White-tailed Lawping has started breeding in Ronanis and the surrounding area. So maybe the S.Lawping is doing the same?(hopefully)
Where is Ronanis, is it in your neck of the woods?Just got the London Sociable Plover decided it was a must if the recent population trends continue.The views were distant but ok. :egghead:

mark ridsdale said:
Where is Ronanis, is it in your neck of the woods?Just got the London Sociable Plover decided it was a must if the recent population trends continue.The views were distant but ok. :egghead:
Congrats on the good bird.I must find one for myself down here, :) Stunning birds.

Err sorry I meant Romania. :'D .Long day yesterday.I'm sorry for the confusion

Cheers,

Dimitris

Dimitris said:
Congrats on the good bird.I must find one for myself down here, :) Stunning birds.

Err sorry I meant Romania. :'D .Long day yesterday.I'm sorry for the confusion

Cheers,

Dimitris

dimi, it would be nice if white-tailed lapwing still bred in the dobrudja, but the last pair bred in 2003. so the "invasion" lasted exact 3 years...

lou salomon said:
dimi, it would be nice if white-tailed lapwing still bred in the dobrudja, but the last pair bred in 2003. so the "invasion" lasted exact 3 years...

Hiya Lou!

Thanx for the info.

Are they still annual up there?We had a few this year.

Merry X-mass,

Dimitris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back