• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL water resistance with hinge cap removed? (1 Viewer)

Whiterain

I popped a tripod adapter on these and am now nit-picking the water seal in this configuration. The photo may explain it better than I can, but the front cap is removed, and we have a recess in this bushing that leads to (what appears to be) an o-ring.

The black stud is flat against the silver bushing otherwise, but is not sealed with anything, just metal on metal.

O-ring should still do its job, but is probably at more risk of ultraviolet and chemical exposure, and I wonder if the cap was relied on to protect some of the components from direct flowing water. The little recess/notch may have a purpose, but the only one im aware of is to make sure their little bird logo stays oriented the right way.

Thoughts? The stud will come off if I need to, but didn't want to mess with removing/reaplying threadlocker.

Attachments

• 20201015_055846.jpg
    20201015_055846.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 148
I popped a tripod adapter on these and am now nit-picking the water seal in this configuration. The photo may explain it better than I can, but the front cap is removed, and we have a recess in this bushing that leads to (what appears to be) an o-ring.

The black stud is flat against the silver bushing otherwise, but is not sealed with anything, just metal on metal.

O-ring should still do its job, but is probably at more risk of ultraviolet and chemical exposure, and I wonder if the cap was relied on to protect some of the components from direct flowing water. The little recess/notch may have a purpose, but the only one im aware of is to make sure their little bird logo stays oriented the right way.

Thoughts? The stud will come off if I need to, but didn't want to mess with removing/reaplying threadlocker.

I am confused. How did you manage to get the stud into the bin?
I tried but the Swaro device (SLC) doesn't fit. According to me you can't use it on the NL the way you do it.

Jan

I am confused. How did you manage to get the stud into the bin?
I tried but the Swaro device (SLC) doesn't fit. According to me you can't use it on the NL the way you do it.

Jan

Jan, this is their install video, but I don't think "righty, tighty" is what you were looking for. Apologies if I misunderstood you here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLplvjQqCxg

Also a link to the product. It the installation video is in their product description somewhere.
https://outdoorsmans.com/products/outdoorsmans-nl-pure-stud

Last edited:
They might have a hard time enforcing a blanket warranty forfeiture, but I can understand taking the stance to not support damage caused by the use of something they didnt make. In case of other, unrelated damage to a pair that happened to have a stud? Might be tough to prove it was ever installed at all...

Guess I'll give them a call and see just for giggles.

Per my chat with them this morning, it sounds like an official position on the NL stud is still in the pipeline. As far as theoretical handling of an issue, I got the impression common sense and reason would prevail there. I didnt make them commit to anything and won't put words in their mouths, so for now there is no specific policy regarding the part. I think the biggest surprise is that they even entertain taking official positions on aftermarket items, yet here we are (EL stud, for example, gets the green badge of approval).

Wish I had more to bring back for everyone!

Last edited:
The Outdoorsman stud has been put on many binoculars over the years, mostly 15x56 SLC models.

I would not think it bothers any waterproofness, and Swarovski approves, so proceed with confidence.
They know many binoculars have the hinge cap left off, for many reasons.

I would think only the 12x42 NL model would need tripod mounting.

Jerry

and Swarovski approves, so proceed with confidence.
They know many binoculars have the hinge cap left off, for many reasons.
Jerry

Swarovski approves of... the NL stud or studs for other products? They told me 3 days ago they hadn't taken a stance on the NL stud yet.

Swarovski approves of... the NL stud or studs for other products? They told me 3 days ago they hadn't taken a stance on the NL stud yet.

That is interesting, I suppose the NL may have some issues with waterproofing.

Contact the stud installer, the Outdoorsman, they are a large Swaro. dealer
in Arizona. Let us know what they think.

As I mentioned, the stud is installed mostly on the 15x56.

Jerry

That is interesting, I suppose the NL may have some issues with waterproofing.

Contact the stud installer, the Outdoorsman, they are a large Swaro. dealer
in Arizona. Let us know what they think.

As I mentioned, the stud is installed mostly on the 15x56.

Jerry

Outdoorsmans undoubtedly approves of their own product.

But I think there's some mix up about the studs they offer or it is believed it is one product, but they make many different studs for different uses. The NL stud is a very different part from the regular Swarovski stud. One is aluminum vs stainless, threaded in vs replacing a bushing, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back