• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess the tail feather (1 Viewer)

tim.birdboy

I think this belongs in this section:

I found this rectrix (tail feather) on the sidewalk, here in Broken Bow, Central Nebraska, USA, yesterday. I think I saw the bird who lost it too. The length is 5 1/8", and the width is 7/8" at the widest point.

Photo 1 - Side #1 in natural sunlight
Photo 2 - Side #2 in natural sunlight
Photo 3 - Side #1 in indoor fluorescent light
Photo 4 - Side #2 in indoor fluorescent light

BTW, I do know the answer! ;)

Attachments

• 100_9908.jpg
    100_9908.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_9909.jpg
    100_9909.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_9913.jpg
    100_9913.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_9914.jpg
    100_9914.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 89
I have recent experience - a Sparrowhawk nailed one on my lawn last month. My kids made a head-dress out of the tail feathers.

I have recent experience - a Sparrowhawk nailed one on my lawn last month. My kids made a head-dress out of the tail feathers.

:'D Classic response to a compliment on your expertise!!

(just hope they don't want tomahawks to nail something of their own ;) )

They would have done if they'd found anything sharp enough!

The youngest also fashioned a flying bird, using a cork, some of the flight feathers, a garden cane and some grass... collared doves do seem to have more feathers than are strictly necessary!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back