• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Nebraska Dowitcher dilemma (1 Viewer)

I think you have both species in the photos. The Long-billed are the ones with well defined white scapular tips.

Tom would see both of them routinely. We get one subspecies of shortbilled but only 1-2 weeks. The rest of the fall and spring is long billed.

Interesting you say that: I was about to [...fools rush in...] suggest the opposite. What's your thinking?

They have spotted, not barred, under tail coverts which is definitive of Long-billed Dowitchers. Also the body and head shape is unanimously in favor of that species from all birds that present a profile that is usable for ID purposes. A lot of them don’t show a profile that is usable in determining species here and for those we have to turn to plumage. Some are at various stages of molt but they all show the same plumage in the flight feathers. The only one I am not sure about is the one in the top right photo, bottom left bird with the head completely in the water and it shows white under the tail. The flight feathers are in delayed molt compared to the others and what cannot be seen due to the profile of the bird (head in water and side on view) obscures any clinching ID points, but nothing that can be seen points towards short-billed. The alternate feathers that have molted in look identical to those around it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back