• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon PROSTAFF 7S Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Your missing out by not picking up the sportviews, great sweetspot about the size of a pencil eraser.

After owning two Japanese-made Celestrons with small sweet spots, an 8x32 Ultima and an 8x32 Noble (which had the body of Regal LX and the head of a social worker), I drafted a zero tolerance policy for bins with small sweet spots.

Here's the "Minimum Sweet Spot Pledge":

I ________, the undersigned, will accept no bin with a sweet spot less than 70% of the field of view and/or with a steep fall off at the edges.

You are welcome to join my fellow "sweet spotters" and I by signing The Pledge. We're petitioning ISO to adopt the standard worldwide.

Brock

Last edited:
The P7S is now shipping from Japan.

Thanks for that update. I will check my local Dick's Sporting Goods store in a couple weeks to see if they have them in stock. They will probably only carry the 10x42 in the store. If it's the same body as the M5, which it appears to be, it will be hard for me to hold steady. The P7 with its long barrels is easier for me to grip. Hopefully, they will still have the 10x42 P7 to compare it with.

Brock

Here's some approximate rounded prices based on today's retail in Germany :

Nikon Prostaff 7S

8x30, Euros 189.00, USD 259.00, GBP 155.00
10x30, Euros 199.00, USD 270.00, GBP 160.00

8x42, Euros 239.00, USD 325.00, GBP 195.00
10x42, Euros 259.00, USD 355.00, GBP 210.00.

Prices sales tax inclusive for delivery in the EU, shipping added.

Equivalent dollar pricing would be sales tax (19%) deducted.

Hope that the quality is there.

For those in the UK Clifton have the Nikon Prostaff 7S available for preorder :

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Nikon_PROSTAFF__Binoculars

P7S 8x30 £189.00
P7S 10x30 £209.00
P7S 8x42 £229.00
P7S 10x42 £249.00

For those shopping on price alone delivery from Hong Kong looks like the best option even with the taxes included. Second best, and a no-brainer with tax included, would be delivery from Germany.

Enoy the Summer !

Last edited:
So is the 8x30 7S Japan made ?

I haven't seen these but it's highly likely that they are made in China, and nothing wrong with that.

In this price bracket I (personally) don't put any cachet on 'made in Japan', you are just as likely to encounter rubbish from there as you are from anywhere else, and yes it happened to me recently !

Perhaps the new P7S are even better than the well received P7, we'll see.

They aren't much different optically than the old Pro Staff 7. Hard to tell from the pictures how much the ergos have changed. The FOV has been expanded by a 1/2 degree. 6.3º to 6.8º on the 8x42.

Bob

They aren't much different optically than the old Pro Staff 7. Hard to tell from the pictures how much the ergos have changed. The FOV has been expanded by a 1/2 degree. 6.3º to 6.8º on the 8x42.

Bob

I thought (hoped) maybe there was an optical improvement rather than an upgrade for marketings sake. I like the tacky feel of the Nikons.

New model 8x30, which Nikon did not have before in the Prostaff. It will likely sell well, I would guess. At $150 to $200 I think they are a good value. Hopefully the eye relief, is better, longer compared to M7 8x30.

New model 8x30, which Nikon did not have before in the Prostaff. It will likely sell well, I would guess. At $150 to $200 I think they are a good value. Hopefully the eye relief, is better, longer compared to M7 8x30.

The Nikon USA website shows them now but it says they aren't currently listed for sale. Very light weight. ER is still 15.4mm and their FOV is a narrow 6.5º (10x30 is 6º, same ER.) Nikon's price is $189.95. They should go for less than that. I think these are aimed for sale at places like Dick's Sporting Goods and such.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/PROSTAFF-7S-8x30.html

Bob

Last edited:
I haven't seen these but it's highly likely that they are made in China, and nothing wrong with that.

In this price bracket I (personally) don't put any cachet on 'made in Japan', you are just as likely to encounter rubbish from there as you are from anywhere else, and yes it happened to me recently !

Perhaps the new P7S are even better than the well received P7, we'll see.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." - J.S.

The P7s looks "like something with the body of a crab and the head of a social worker." - W.A.

Actually, the body looks like a cross between the P7 and the M5/7. 6.8* is better than 6.3* but I wish Nikon had pushed it all the way to 7* to meet my minimum AFOV requirement of 57*.

I've been too busy to check if my local Dick's Sporting Goods has them, they are not showing up on the store's website, but neither are the P7s and they do carry them or did, presumably the P7s replaced the P7.

Care to share what "rubbish" Japanese-made bin you bought?

Brock

I got mine. They are good, a bit better eye relief compared to the 7. Very lightweight less fov compared to 7 but acceptable. The focus is good but i have to be exact to be in focus. I would say these are good entry level bins, really small for a 30mm bins and really handy.

Actually, the body looks like a cross between the P7 and the M5/7. 6.8* is better than 6.3* but I wish Nikon had pushed it all the way to 7* to meet my minimum AFOV requirement of 57*.

Brock

The new 8x30 P7S has a 6.5º FOV.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/PROSTAFF-7S-8x30.html

Yes, that would have been a good idea make it 7º. Sell it at $189.99 too, Nikons recommended price. Then if you decided to buy one you could complain about their bad edges.:king:

By the way, the 10x30 P7S has a 6º FOV, (AFOV 55.3º) or 315'@1000 yards almost up to your minimum AFOV.

The 10x42SE had a 6º FOV too. But its AFOV was 60º, just over your minimum.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Binoculars/Premier-SE-10x42.html

Bob

Now in stock at B&H

The Prostaff 7s just came in stock at B&H:

10x42: $149.95
08x42: $156.95 (Not in stock)
10x30: $166.95
08x30: $156.95

Yes, these are "Made in China" models.

performance compared to Monarch 5

I own a very cheap (uncoated 10x25) set of binoculars and I am in the market for a higher end like the Prostaff 7S. I have narrowed down my possible choices to the 7S and the Monarch 5.

It is my understanding that the clear advantages that the Monarch line had over the prostaff were:
  1. Dielectric Coating
  2. Extra-low Dispersion

However, I have noticed that now the new 7S are made with dielectric coating which is attributed for brighter viewing experience specially in low light.

The advantage that the PROSTAFF 7s has is that of slightly wider field of view 6.2 degrees vs 5.5 or so of the Monarch 5. I was leaning more towards the 7S especially if the CA is almost nonexistent because at such wider FOV, any movement while holding the binocs would be minimized when compared to the Monarch 5. I may give up the FOV if the image quality as far as contrast, color, clarity, and brightness is that much better on the Monarch.

When it comes to optics it seems ED is the biggest advantage offered by the Monarch 5, but my question is how big of a difference will the ED make for most of the cases if the optics appear to be about the same? I am unable to compare them side by side as no store carries it near by.

If you own a PROSTAFF 7s have you experienced Chromatic Aberration?

Thanks,

Ivan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back